Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Forget Kevin Bacon


Jane Buck and me

A couple degrees of separation from...me! Monday night Pablo the Poolboy and I dined with an old A-town (Atlantic, Iowa) pal, Jane Buck. Jane and fam lived in our neighborhood when I was growing up. I liked hanging out at their house so I could play with her son Tommy's army men and other boy toys. We reconnected on Facebook a couple years ago since she lives here in Des Moines...I kinda do.

Monday night we chatted about a lot of stuff. The subject of Southwest Iowa came up. (I know - scintillating topic!) I'd forgotten that her beloved spouse Bill, who passed away in 1982, grew up in Mount Ayr, Iowa. That's not too far from Creston, our home.
  • Mount Ayr happens to be the home territory of our dentist Dr. Dave Buck.
Hmmm same last name.
  • Dr. Dave and lovely wife Gwen (now the Director of Nursing at Greater Community Regional Health Center) were two of the first people we met when we moved to Creston 25 years ago.
  • I asked Jane if she happened to know Dick (now deceased) and Phyllis Buck - Dave's folks. Nice people - just like Dave and Gwen.
  • Yes, she said, they're relatives of Bill's! (I don't quite remember the connection, I must admit when Jane said she knew them I was reveling in the coincidence of the whole thing and forgot to listen...) She said something like their dads were brothers? Cousins?
  • I didn't think of it until later - but Joan McFee Bentley, my Des Moines roomie, is married to Billy Bentley from Diagonal. Billy is also related to Bucks - through Billy's mom, Barb, who I think, who may be Dick's sister. (Okay I didn't listen that well to that information either)
  • It's a big circle and everyone's related-
  • I'm listening baby - okay maybe not that well.

2 comments:

Jane Buck said...

Oh Les, so very well written AGAIN. It's all just tooooo much. You have it correct. Bill's and Dick's Dads were brothers Bill's Dad was john and Dick's Dad was Raymond. To further complicate it, John was married to Ruth and Raymond to Dorothy. Got it?? Dick's wife is Phyllis and I talked with her when I learned about Dick's death. Dick's sister is, indeed, Barbara Buck Bentley, who was married to Bill, who is now deceased. I have not seen any of the remaining Buck relatives since like forever and would enjoy re-connecting. Who could better do this than the blogger, Leslie, from Creston?

Thanks SO much for the invitation and the beautiful evening. Both you and Paul are keepers and have a very special place in my heart.

XO
Jane Buck

lgold said...

I attended Bill Bentley's memorial service - and discovered he was born the exact same day as my dad. And was a Korean War Vet, like dad. I couldn't help but think those two would have enjoyed getting to know each other....