Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Deep Thoughts and Funky Pants



Our former loft on East Court is looking good!

I took a couple walks today - giving me a chance to ponder. It's what I do! When I walked by our former loft I considered our wonderful time this past winter/spring. Paul and I got to live together there 3 months, trying new restaurants and bars each night. But mostly we just enjoyed living together along with our little black weiner doggy.

I wondered...could my trying time with my shoulder be payment for that? I considered that carefully - then rejected the idea. Illness is not payback for something good that's happened, or a curse for something bad we've done. Nobody sick deserves it.

That said - I told myself, I must learn lessons from all the good things and the bad things that happen to me in life. When our baby Patrick died, that's the one thing that helped me heal - knowing that going forward I was going to be a better person because of that little guy.

I'm not sure what the purpose of this painful episode in my life is, but I'll figure it out - and will be better in the future for it.

Geese caused me to cross the road - they didn't ask me why

Pablo made yet another trip to DSM today. I'm such a magnet the guy just can't stay away! Plus he'd scheduled an oil change for his Subaru - a mere 1 day after mine. Ramsey loves us.

And he needed to get his bike tire fixed and pick up a few things for his September Elk hunting trip to Colorado. I know...that trip is weeks away, but the guy is so excited he's like, well Amy used to be when it was time to get school supplies. I swear she couldn't sleep the night before shopping for new notebooks, pencils, crayolas and the like. Tonight Paul was picking up things like MREs (meals ready to eat) and gas for the cookstove he purchased. Maybe he'll start putting his name on everything with sharpies next, like Amy did on each and every crayon.

I'm glad Paul has a hobby he's so into. He's been working out really hard so he's in good shape for this fall's hunt near Aspen. This year 3 guys are going with him - they met last Friday night to plan. That's when he really started getting fired up about the trip.

I met him at Jordan Creek, entering through the upper level of Younkers. That's near the Young Women's section. As I entered I overheard a mom with a teen in tow. Or was it the other way around - the mom was kinda following the teen girl who was about 16. The mom spied some animal print looking legging kinda jeans and said, "These are funky!" trying to attract the daughter's attention.

I thought to myself. "Self - that was you 10 years ago with Amy - and oh honey, you shouldn't say funky to your teen daughter." The daughter ignored mom and kept shopping, certainly cringing but hiding it well since Mom had the purse strings. She'll save snotty for another day...

It was nice to have an evening with Paul. We ate outside Panera. Even though it was hot, it wasn't too bad in the shade. We sat and chatted, enjoying each other's company.

4 comments:

Kris said...

Makes me think of our annual clothes shopping trips to Des Moines. Amy and I would start making lists in advance, down to the colors of scrunchies we wanted to get at Claire's. :)

amy e. goldsmith said...

Every year I imagined in my head that this one shopping trip would make me fashionable and popular. I was wrong every year.

Kris said...

As was I. We never did reach our ambitions to be "kewl". At least we're awesome now. ;)

lgold said...

That's because you both wear funky pants!