Monday, August 20, 2012

Long ride to see tiny boats


Riding to the Shootout

Saturday Donnie and Cap'n Paul plotted a big ride! First our house met the other house at my fave place on the lake - Miller's Landing for breakfast. That's where I got my best ever T-shirt. On the back it says, "The liver is evil it must be punished". Clever or what?

I had a mix 'n match breakfast - pecan pancake, egg over medium and bacon. Plus a spicy Bloody Mary. It all was bloody marvelous. Then we ran into some peeps from Osceola that we know - the Schippers (and their muy expensivo boat. We hung out with them in NYC at the bowl game last winter. Small world at the lake!

After consolidating all 10 of us into Paul's 28-foot boat, we headed up-river from like mile 26 to mile 60. It was a long trip! But we were very pumped to see the "Shoot Out". That's a boat race with those big long boats with giant engines. My heart was racing with excitement! I could hardly contain myself! We were looking for a place called Kelley's according to Donnie - we slowed as we approached the area we thought it should be - Bobbie called out - "I think I see one!"

We turned in and parked at a somewhat rickety dock, puzzled that we couldn't see more boats. Then we figured it out - the RC before Shootout meant Remote Control! They were tiny 1/8th size boats! Zing Zing! And the people - something else. Key word - bib overalls. Okay that's 2 words. I worked on an oversized frozen rum drink in a Styrofoam cup. I didn't think the waitress/bartender was up to much more than that. Sweet but refreshing.

This is me smiling and having fun on the boat  looking like a blue hair?
Bobbie and Paul await a boat driven by a tiny man
The guys went down to look at the tiny boats. Al said one even had tiny guys on it. Everybody needs a hobby I guess...I think we should have all had guns to shoot at them. Now THAT would have been fun! LOL

After we decided remote control boats were going to be boring we were off to our next adventure - Possum Holler. Donnie discovered it on a map - a cool (insert dive) bar.
I picked up a great T-shirt! (not as good as the liver one) It says "I got smashed at Possum Holler" and shows a beer truck that ran over a possum. We were the life of the place. (Not saying much).


Our next stop was at a place called Big Dick's Halfway Inn. There are minnows in that little cup by the shots. The big deal at this bar - it must be halfway between the end of the lake and the dam - is to shoot a minnow and a shot. Poor little fishies! Paul and I passed on that tradition.
Minnows look nervous
After that stop we went to one last place for supper - Paradise. I had a nice fish (not minnow) sandwich. Then I was stuffed. It was an early night - all that fresh air and all.
Paul looks happy!

We took off early Sunday for Creston. The others stuck around for another day of fun. Though I'm sure it wasn't quite as much fun without us...
How nice of Higgins and Eckhoffs to share their beautiful homes and boats with friends. We feel so fortunate to have friends like those two couples plus the Mcs - McKims and McFees. All good peeps. Life is good.

No comments: