Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Scenes from the Iowa State Fair

My workmate Mick opens the door to the Environmental Education Trailer
I worked at the Iowa State Fair today for my job. Hey it beat sitting in a cubicle! I worked with Mick who is an engineer in our solid waste department. I enjoy sitting six hour with a co-worker and getting to know them a bit more. I discovered that he grew up in South Dakota - a place I lived for a year just after college. Mick and his wife (she works for DNR too - in water quality out of Field Office 1 in downtown Des Moines) live in the outskirts of Chariton.
We opened up the trailer and cleaned it up - sweeping the floor and wiping down displays. It features touch screen activities and videos. Our other job was to administer an environmental quiz to families who took time to watch and read stuff. We had prizes for the various types of questions - aluminum water bottles, paper cubes, shopping bags and little tape measures. Most people were quite delighted to receive a prize. A couple were mad they didn't get what they wanted. Oh well.
At lunch I went out for a nice corndog - I had obsessed about it all morning! Darn good too. I didn't get the bacon infused one.
Lunch!
I enjoyed talking to fair attendees about environmental topics. There were some good conversations today. I get to saddle up and do it again tomorrow! After my shift I made the rounds at the fair - taking in the sights. 
My view of the day
A pond outside the trailer hold lovely lillies
Butter cow with 7 dwarfs...

Corn and melons
Not a pony...miniature horse!
Dog and Cathouses at the 4-H Building

This ride looked like fun.

No comments: