Sunday, August 5, 2012

Wedding Bells

It was a big day!

Keith's wedding day brought rain to Iowa - about time! Too little, too late for many of the crops in Iowa. And Creston missed a lot of the precious moisture. We drove to Des Moines in a steady rain, but by noon it was over.

Jud and Kara had arrived in DSM Friday night. Kara worked in Seattle again this week and flew into the DSM airport where Elroy (Judson David) picked her up. They went to the horse track that night - one type of sporting event Kara seems to enjoy. Jud reported they lost about $20 each - not bad for a night of entertainment.
Kara is shocked at our ribs

We met them at Jethro's in Waukee - their first experience at the joint. Mama made the decision to have a fruity rum drink and the waitress talked me into upsizing it for $1.25. Bad idea but delish. Good thing we ordered wings to eat while I started on it or I would have been schnockered (yes...that's a word). Paul and I ordered the Fred Flintstone car tipping over size rack of ribs. And oh the jalapeno creamed corn!

We decided to save $250 and stay at my roomie Joan's - did I mention she's the best landlady ever? We had booked rooms in Altoona, but McKims cancelled theres as they were playing in a golf tourney Sunday a.m. We hadn't been able to get into the hotel the wedding party had set aside. But judging from the shape the wedding party was in when I last saw them...I think we made a good choice. I bet the hotel was wild and crazy!

Anyway we got ready for the ceremony and left for the other side of town about 3 p.m. for the 4 p.m. ceremony. Waukee, where Joan lives, used to be west of DSM and Altoona, wedding site was east. It all runs together now but is still a long drive as DSM goes. We got good seats!
Keith is a good hugger - gets it from his Momma
I got a little choked up when Keith walked his Mom down the aisle and hugged her. The wedding was elegant and simple. The pastor did a nice job and I liked the ceremony. It took about a half hour. My favorite part is when the happy couple is introduced! Keith and Kelsey made their way back in and ushered all the people out of the church. Then they took a party bus around town for a while.


The vows were very well done, colors beautiful

I always love the joy on the bride and groom's faces on the way down the aisle!
Mom of the groom is a hottie - my bestie, Deb

We drove to the reception and staked out a table with Weis's, Hydes and McKims. We had a couple drinks, keg beer was free. I stuck with water after that. It's amazing how much less awesome I am at dancing when I've had less alcohol...Love Shack just wasn't the same. Still, a good time was had by all. I love seeing the Imming girls - Deb's sisters. Not sure when I'll see them again now. I may just need to be adopted by them, so I can hang out.

What's up with the youngsters thinking they have to drink and dance at the same time?!? Is it because they are so careful about not drinking and driving? The dance floor got drenched from all that spilled beer and the bride's poor dress was sodden by the end of the night. 
Group shot - my homegirls - Lucy, Joan, Diana

The Boyz. Jud, Michael Hyde, Caleb Brus, Keith, Greg Irr, Ben Weis, Tyrell Miller
It took a lot of beer but the boys finally got up to dance. The groom had to drag them to the dance floor. Evidently their dates (and wife, Greg is married) must not have had much sway in that area. It didn't stop the Moms - we just dance with each other when we felt like. Sometimes it pays to be an old chick! My physical therapist would have been proud of the moves I was busting! Diana always has to lead me on the line dances. I'm nothing without her.
The boys plus girlfriends, wife, and one unknown (Ben's date)
The parents slowly began to trickle out. Poor Dan Miller took a spill off his tractor that morning - breaking his wrist and two ribs. He also had a black eye. So he and Denise left pretty early. McKims and Hydes headed back to Creston around 10. Paul and Donna Pals were there with Seth and Connor but no Kyle, who is Keith's age. Perhaps he was traveling for work.

We hung on to the end - waiting for Jud and Kara who were having fun hanging out with the guys and their girls.  We got a big kick out of seeing the old gang having a blast.

It was a beautiful day for a beautiful couple. I bet Deb is relieved it's over. And now she has 2 daughter in laws. Seems like just yesterday we were talking about working St. Malachy Bingo together...my how time flies!


No comments: