Wednesday, August 15, 2012

My fave Man in Black

Father Howard and Paul share a laugh Sunday

He arrived Sunday afternoon in khaki shorts and regular shirt - no priestly collar. Totally incognito was Fr. Howard Fitzgerald, our favorite priest. I've written about him before but the story is important enough that I'll repeat - a short version.

The year was 1991, we'd just learned our new baby, Patrick George had a severe heart defect. He was life-flighted to DSM, with Paul following behind by car. Holy Spirit's priest arrived at my hospital room during the middle of the night. I didn't know the guy - and had been a little intimidated by his sermons. Father Howard hadn't been in Creston all that long. We sat and talked - I don't remember what about. I'm sure I babbled on about Amy and Jud and our plans for Patrick and the perfect family. I was glad I wasn't all alone after the shock of the news.

Throughout the ordeal of the rest of Patrick's short life, Father Howard was at our sides. As we made the excruciating decision to disconnect life-support, and later back in Creston when our son passed away peacefully at the hospital at the age of 6 days. Of course his homily at the funeral was perfect. My sisters loved making him a margarita later at our house.

Father H said someone in the parish wanted to loan us money for our expenses - because he knew we were worried about it. He gave us an envelope of cash and said to pay it back when we could. I've always suspected it might have been him. (The money made us nervous and we paid it back in short order, with many thanks to our parents for helping with burial expenses)

Howard was there for us - in those rough days, weeks and months after we lost our son. He stopped at our house evenings nearly every week for a long time - until he knew our marriage would last. The kids got used to seeing him - Amy was 6 years old, and Jud 3. They were hanging with the priest, eating popcorn. They'd show him their toys. He became our friend and spiritual coach - and at the time I was wondering if there really was a God. If so why would he pick on us?

So we got through it - as much as anyone can. Father Howard stayed at Holy Spirit a couple more years and then he moved on. Oh how I've missed him. A priest who can call up Deb, the manager of Planned Parenthood and say, as a joke, "this is a bomb threat." He was really calling her for some committee meeting. An open minded, somewhat liberal priest! Not everyone liked him in Creston - he's not afraid to call people to the carpet. He's a passionate guy. He won't do things like allow people to marry in the church when they aren't members. He won't run all over Iowa to perform marriages, funerals, etc.

Howard had been in Altoona recently, and I met him for lunch a couple years ago. Since then he took a break from parish life and got to go to the Holy Land to study. When he came back he filled in at some churches before settling in at Glenwood. We've been emailing lately and invited him for supper. He took us up on it Sunday - he came to see us and to share a meal, then stayed the night on his way to a priest wingding Monday. I hope it wasn't he who called me collect from the Madison County Jail Monday! If so, I'm sorry I panicked and hung up. haha

Father Howard helps give me faith in the Catholic church. Many years have passed since that first night we sat together (going on 21!). Love that guy.







No comments: