Saturday, October 1, 2011

Tailgating planning moves inside

When I got home from the audit Thursday afternoon, I shifted into tailgating planning mode. Paul texted McKims and Donnie said he'd be home from the Country Club at 6:30 (Men's Night ya know). Diana texted just before that time and said RV is "in position".

I texted back "do we have to drink okay". Hard to convince. Guess it was a longer week than I realized. I mixed myself a Jeremiah Weed Sweet Tea Vodka and Water in my University of Margaritaville Tervis Tumbler (complete with lid and straw), and off we went. Don and Diana were scrambling, putting stuff in the RV. We delivered some stuff for the week - booze, chips and the like. I noticed a cover for the air conditioner was on the driveway.

It was chilly - and windy. So we settled in the RV with our drinks. Diana had been to see an Ear, Nose and Throat doc - as she found out during a surgical procedure this summer that she has an arterial body tumor in her neck. In fact she has 2. Bummer. Drinks while we discuss. She needs to have tricky surgery to have each one removed. But will probably go to Mayo Clinic for a second opinion and to see if a surgeon up there has done more of this type surgery. Crap. What is the deal with all this medical stuff all the sudden. Age, I guess. Dee (Diana) just turned 50. Her mom is the one who died a year ago in the accident in NW Iowa - and her dad is left behind. Dee just turned 50 and this past year has been hellish. So we're all about having fun when we can!

And we decided Thursday nights are as fun as gameday tailgating! I think it's because there is no pressure to entertain and serve. My drink was going down smoothly. After a while Bobbie showed up. Diana and I had made the decision that burgers and brats are on the menu for Saturday's Texas vs. ISU game. Keepin' it simple. Weather is supposed to be sunny - mid 60's.

Lots of talk and laughter, amidst real discussion - should Jud pay of his student loan? Don is a good one to talk to about stuff like that. He thinks yes. It's only $3,900 and will be at around 5%. He's got the money and won't make that much interest on it. Diana cut up cheese and dug out some crax. Donnie turned on some RV tunes. Eventually farmer Jeffie showed up. The discussion turns to farm stuff - cash rent. Diana's dad's property and the place Jeff's renting is going out to bid.

After a few drinks Paul jumped up and said - we need to put that cover on the AC. What? Do I want a paraplegic for a spouse? But he climbed up that rickety ladder (Jeff held it for stability). Paul fastened the thing down without launching himself onto the driveway below. To celebrate Don poured us shots of wedding cake vodka and chocolate milk. Just what I needed! (not) I had switched to water at that point - work Friday ya know. We got home about 11:30 p.m. Crazy kids!

No comments: