Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Mystery Date


Open the door for your...Mystery Date! Watching "Dancing With the Stars". Something one of the dancers said made me think of this game I used to have. Mystery Date. I guess I knew I liked guys even way back then...even though I did love to play with GI Joes, and was such a tomboy.

I must have gotten the Mystery Date game in about 6th grade. I'm sure I made Cindy and Betsy play with me...and Cindo probably cheated! Betsy probably won. (That kid won at everything...it frustrated her older wiser sister that she was so lucky..) As I recall, you had to collect things, and then you got to spin the doorknob and see if you matched your intended date. If you were lucky you'd get a hunk - like the ski dude or the beach guy. If not you'd get a loser...(hey, just like real life!).

We had so many fun games. Our grandfather, Herbert Leslie Morehead built our home in Atlantic and there were lots of built in features in it. Betsy and I roomed together. Our room had drawers with cupboards above and they were filled with these games.
Mousetrap (more fun to mess with than to actually play...)
The Amazing Kreskin, Stratego, Life, Stratego (Cindy would say "Wanna play Strag? - then she would cheat and move her bombs...). We had a Spirograph of course, and the mandatory Etch a sketch, Monopoly (did anyone ever really finish that game?) and Kerplunk.

There wasn't much on TV back then...

I guarded all the games with my Secret Sam!
Those were the magical days of make believe, great neighbors and endless summers.

1 comment:

Jane Buck said...

Les, you're the same jewel you were when you were growing up. Love your blogs - so very well done and so very accurate I might add. Yes, those games were the ones of the day. Hopefully, you had a deck of Old Maid cards. That was a fav at our house - and Tommy would look so dejected and sometimes have tears if he was the OM! I certainly remember you playing "army men" with Tommy. He had quite a set of those! Also had the Flintstones and their entire house and household. Thanks for the memories and all the nostalgia that goes along with them. You have a very special place in my heart and always will.

Jane