Monday, October 24, 2011

One on one

I had a special day yesterday with two of my favorite people. Paul left around 10 a.m. to go to South Dakota pheasant hunting with Mike Huston and Tom Sullivan, our college buddies. He actually knew those fellas before he met me! They've done this hunt the past few years and always have a great time. (I figured it out that his early start was so he could get to Sioux Falls for the Packers Game - he's a man of simple rules).

So I had Jud to myself the rest of the morning and early afternoon. We sat watching some NFL games, and talked about stuff. I don't often get one on one time with my kids anymore. Most often, when we get together, it's in a group, because they come to visit for shorter periods. It was nice to discuss his job in depth - beyond "how's it going?". He's already thinking about how he can move up in the company, and where he may want to live next. He seems to be ambitious about the future!

Around 1:30 p.m. I took off for DSM to meet Amy. She stayed in Ankeny with friends Jenna and Rachelle after the big surprise. We shopped a bit at Jordan Creek Mall and then got some cheesecake. She and I also had some alone time to talk. Our discussions are less rare than a talk with Jud - because we chat on the phone. Still it's good to sit across from her to do it. All too soon I had to drop her off at the airport. Even today - 24 hours later, I'm still pretty smiley about the whole weekend. We've got some pretty cool kids - they're growing up nicely!
And speaking of Dad...big panties for the Pantie Man!
  • On the way to work this a.m., I had to take an "alternative route" as Stuart Road is being worked on. As I drove (and dodged deer) I thought about how that is just like life - you think you have your route in life plotted out, and then you come across a sign - detour! You need to make plans, like Jud is trying to do, but they better be flexible, because life has a way of making us detour - a lot!
  • Paul texted that he finished the pheasant hunting today filling their limit with a "double flush". I wasn't sure what that was - thought perhaps it had to do with a potty break and a big poop! But no he said later it was flushing two birds at once.

  • I shopped at Target tonight and saw this video set. Dad would have loved it! Once we got cable TV, he spent a lot of time watching Little House on the Prairie. Personally, I liked the books better than the TV show.


  • I had breakfast with my homies this a.m. Always a great way to start my day and my week! We noticed the owners "decorated" with a sign for Halloween stating "Witches Corner". We decided it was strategically placed because we always sit at this table...(not sign above table...)

red sign next to shelf...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That panty picture made me laugh--I almost posted a comment when I saw it on Facebook a couple of times--something like "Dave Bullock would have loved this picture"--but I was afraid someone who did not know of his life's venture of selling ladies lingerie would really wonder about him. I shared that with friends as we celebrated Wayne's birthday and we all had a good laugh about the ideas that could generate.....