Friday, October 14, 2011

Baby's Birthday

Bucko, Amy and me with really big glasses
She was almost a "Lindsay". That was the name I liked early in my pregnancy, way back in 1985. But somehow Paul and I kept trying out names. We knew that one wasn't right for our lil growing bambino. Paul affectionately called the baby "Turdell" (ick!), after some Green Bay Packer football player. Guess his momma didn't realize people might someday shorten his name to Turd...

Way back in 1985, we were driving along in our charcoal gray Mazda 626 one day (loved that car), talking girl names. We'd already decided on Andrew Judson (sound familiar?) for a boy, when I suggested the name Amy. It just popped out of my mouth, out of the blue. Paul liked it. I have a first cousin Amy. Which is in keeping with my fam tradition - recycling names. I have both an older cousin and a niece Leslie Susi's daughter. And though he wasn't born yet, someday I'd have a nephew Paul. And a Dad David Judson, a nephew David - not to mention Jud. We must enjoy hearing a chorus of "what's" when someone yells a name at family reunions.

But somehow the name Amy Elizabeth (that's Betsy's real name) felt right for our baby - should it be a girl. I looked it up in our baby name book. Amy means "Beloved". How could a name be more right? From before birth, but especially when we first saw our little chubby -9 lb 7 oz redheaded girl on October 14, 1985, she has been the much-loved light of our lives. I don't think we tell either of our children enough how much they mean to us. (It's just a little much for my English ethnic background - to break into spontaneous positive emoting.)

I didn't babysit much - and never for infants. So I was shocked when the nursing staff at St. Joseph Mercy Hospital in Mason City up and sent that innocent baby girl home with Paul and me a couple days after Amy was born. There were no instructions. Good thing I had Dr. Spock's Childcare book! (The baby doc not the Star Trek guy) Man how I devoured that thing. The book is probably the reason Amy got through those first few weeks!  

Somehow, we survived. And Amy thrived. Of course we were convinced she was the cutest, smartest baby ever. I couldn't wait to get off work to go pick her up! When I think back, it seems so long ago. It was 26 years!
Amy with cousins Jordan and Leslie Alvillar (my folks' Atlantic friends called them Salt and Peppers..)
And now Amy has grown into a great young person - so interesting, talented (okay so we still think she's the cutest, smartest, ever). And more importantly, she's a very caring person with a good heart. Beloved. Happy Birthday Amy!

No comments: