Sunday, October 9, 2011

My double life

My double life - in Creston and Des Moines - I've grown accustomed to it...but it's still hard to leave home each week. Tonight I had to drive up to Waukee (it's Sunday) for an early a.m. trip to Dubuque tomorrow. I already miss Paul, Odie, my homegirls, my house. Sadly, I'm not sure I'd be happy living full time in Creston any more. The truth is - I'm spoiled by the bright lights of the big city. Or should I say the amenities of living here. And the fact that my life's work is here.

Amy's 26th birthday is Friday. So that means come this November, we will have lived in Creston 25 years. It's so comfy - like a great pair of shoes you can slip on, and your feet go, "AH..." I can get to where I'm going in five minutes. No nasty traffic to slow me down, unless you factor in trains, causing me to re-route.

I see people I know where ever I go in town, and I know their stories. They know mine. They ask about the kids. I have status (or a reputation - put it that way) in Creston. We can shop in stores and take things with us to "try out" like samples of products from furniture stores and cabinet and counter tops etc. In Des Moines you have to sign away your first born (and she's almost 26!) when you take a sample from a big box store.

And our friends. What can I say about them? We've known some of them for nearly all of those 25 years. They have seen us through the fun times and some sad stuff too. Sober, and the other end of the spectrum - in a ditch, relieving myself of excesses (puking). And they still like me! (Or they fake it pretty darn well). We know each other so well that we can almost speak in code. Lois, curlers. And everyone knows who I mean. So very comfy.

But when I get to Des Moines, I enjoy all the choices of life here - shopping, restaurants, movies. Too bad I have no friends - besides Joan, who like me seems exhausted by her work schedule and doesn't do much during the week besides work and a bit a shopping. The logistics of life in the big city do take more effort - precluding a lot of running around like you can do in Creston.

It's hard to believe that December will mark 3 years that I've been living with Joan.  For now anyway, I will continue to enjoy my double life - with perks in both towns.

No comments: