Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Back to Dubuque and more

It was a 14 hour day yesterday. It started out rough - getting four people (Scott, Jeff and Jen along with yours truly) on the same page at 6:30 a.m. is imposible (pronounced im po see blay - that's spanish for impossible). And then the bladders...Dave would never have stood for it! He would have suggested, "sit on your foot!" and other helpful hints. So the trip that should have taken a little over three hours took more like 3.5. I was agast! Bullocks don't like to be late.

But you know what? The world didn't come to an end. We got the Audit done and it all went well. I simply called ahead and told them we were running late. The ride back was filled with, um interesting (insert gross) smells. We'd had a brief shower, and somehow between that, and the wind direction made the hog confinement smells seek out our van. Poor Jennifer has a very sensitive nose and was forced to breath through her sweater at times. Lucky for me my use of nose sprays through the years, and age had rendered my sense of smell less than keen.

Our conversations on the way back were inane. We discussed our favorite Halloween candy. There were arguments about what pie flavor is best. (Jen likes banana creme, it's lemon meringue for Scott - me, so hard to decide. French Silk? Remember Bishop Buffet's Choc. pie? Jeff didn't weigh in). You have a lot of time to talk on a drive to Dubuque (and back). We also talked about work stuff, which wasn't nearly as fun as popcorn balls that we got for Halloween.

Tonight I took a walk when I got home from work. Along the route, I was excited to see there is a Jimmy Johns going into the former Medicap near Joan's house. Yay! I like Jimmy John's. Big John (roast beef) with oil and vinegar instead of may. No cheese. Yum. Around the corner, I almost stepped on a big fat toad sitting on the warm walking trail path. My power walk was a nice way to walk of the steam I worked up from my day of acting as a go-between for 2 bureaucracies. EPA and DNR. Nuff said.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I was just telling Sarah about Bishops the other day--french dip and chocolate pie, oh the memories. Made me a chocolate pie girl for life!