Thursday, October 27, 2011

Fried, but in a good way!

I'm fried tonight, so pardon me if this isn't my most scintillating post. I've been traveling the state of Iowa again, with a motley crew of co-workers, auditing Environmental Management Systems at solid waste agencies. Cast of characters:My supervisor
  • Jennifer - her husband and 9-year old daughter were at home, where Molly only ate the carbs out of her school lunch
  • Becky - a mommy who left her husband in charge of a couple kiddos. Becky actually partially dressed sleeping Trent the morning she left, and left a reminder note about "show and tell" Ah I remember those days... 
  • Jeff - partner Nick was left in charge of pooches Leia and Lucy.
This week we visited Cedar Rapids Linn County and the Waste Commission of Scott County in Davenport.

Scenes from the audit, Scott County - wow, doesn't this look exciting?

Jen, Jeff and Becky look over the recycle beetle located at the CR Linn Landfill
They're doing good things for the environment at those places, despite what you might think about trash and landfills! I enjoy getting out and talking to the people that are on the "front line". The ones that run the dozers, collect household hazardous materials, pick up litter and run the scale.

But man, being on the road two days, and having to be "on" all the time. It's quite wearing. I drove about half the time - thank goodness Jeff shared with me. The traffic across I-80 is a bitch!
The scale operator keeps the bad stuff like chemicals and other hazardous things out of the landfill...plus she has Milkbones!

These are the types of projects our participants are doing - setting goals to sell composters and rain barrels and surpassing them - continuous improvement!
I was glad to get home to Joan's yesterday evening. The furnace guy was there - to the tune of a new motor for $600+. Joan was not a happy camper for a 7 year old furnace..

Paul returned home Wednesday evening from a successful hunt in South Dakota. He was with Mike Huston and Tom Sullivan- college buddies. Next - a weekend trip with my High School homegirls - Chris and Paula!

No comments: