Sunday, October 30, 2011

Pals and Marrow


We were in Galena this weekend with my old pals Paula Bacon and Chris Deardorff Colletti, along with Chris's husband Larry Colletti. Paula, it seems, has a time share and decided to waste some of her points on us! And we're glad she did.

We took off about noon on Friday, driving to Galena, arriving about 5:30 PM. Galena is just across the Iowa border past another of my fave communities, Dubuque. Paula had flown into Chicago from her home in Austin, TX that morning and rode up to Galena with Larry and Chris who live in Downers Grove, a Chicago suburb. We were just getting settled into our beautiful WorldMark Club condo east of town when Larry, Chris and Paula joined us after they picked up a few groceries for breakfast the next morning. Hugs all around.

Let me tell you about these ladies. They have been friends of mine for a long time, since we went through grade school together - lots of history there. Even though Chris and Paula weren't into sports and I was, we managed to stay friends through high school. By my senior year, they were they people I hung out with the most. When it came time for college though - we all went different ways. Chris and I hooked back up when we both lived in Omaha for a time. No matter what, our shared history of growing up in A-town, slumber parties, school, dances etc. has bonded us forever! Plus we all grew up to be pretty fun!

We each got our own 1 bedroom condo, complete with a 2-way living room/bedroom fireplace and a great big whirlpool tub. There was also a nice big swimming pool and hot tub, workout area and game room. It is a very nice facility! We decided to meet at Collettis place for drinks before we headed out for supper at Vinnie Venucci's, an Italian place on Main Street in town. I mixed up Lemondrops for the gals - which they enjoyed if I do say so myself. After supper we wandered up the street a bit, and then headed back to the condo to sit in the hot tub. Paul and Larry watched the yawner of a Game 7 World Series game.

The next day (Larry Colletti's birthday!) after breakfast at Paula's (we forced Chris to get up early...she's normally a late-to-bed, late-to-rise kinda gal), we headed to town for a day of shopping and hanging out. We had a bit of chocolate, and loved the vintage store that contained goods from our era (damn...we're now vintage!) Of course there were football games going on, so there were plans to check on scores throughout the day. It was gorgeous out! We ended up standing in a sports bar watching then end of several games. Larry attended Missouri, Chris - Iowa, their daughters Annie and Kate - Illinois, and all you readers know where my heart lies - with ISU (and anybody playing against the Hawkeyes...haha).

We ended up the night at a brew pub, getting a drink and a bite to eat. They had an interesting menu that included...marrow with crackers. Yum...NOT! We did end up with a meat and cheese tray that included venison and buffalo sausage that Chris couldn't bring herself to eat. Paul was incensed. Not really.

It was entertaining to see all the costumes. Galena hosts a fantastic Halloween Parade - that we could almost see from our table! I did wander out to the street to check it out a couple times. Thousands of people lined the narrow main street. Lights, costumes, floats - even bands. It was all really awesome on a warm night for late October. I saw a couple dressed in boxes that said Barbie/Ken - with plastic on the front. I asked "Ken" if he was anatomically correct. I can't help it...these things just pop out of my mouth!

ISU vs. Texas Tech scores popped up on the TV at the bar we were at - couldn't believe we were leading! Headed back to our condo to again sit in the hot tub, while Paul watched the 2nd half of the game. I didn't want to jinx the team by watching...they had done so well without me in the first half!

This a.m. we had breakfast at a place on mainstreet and then it was time to say goodbye. I was sad to leave - such fun to see my friends again. I hadn't seen them for several years, and then I got to see them in July for our class reunion and now. When will we see each other again? I think we better make this type of get-together an annual thing!

No comments: