Sunday, July 10, 2011

Skipping ahead

A weekend before I fall back to my class reunion memories. My college homies just left so I gotta write about that while it's fresh. Man...what a stretch we've had! San Antonio with good friends from Creston, Class Reunion and now this - with only one weekend off. I'm exhausted. But I'll rest the next few weekends. I'm not that old...yet.

We finally got the gang to make the trek to Crestonia! (a first for Freddie Carl Behr!) Vicki, Moose, Kay, Jaime and Alyssa. They got here Friday night. Vic and Fred arrived first - the shorter drive. They pulled up when Bobbie and Jeff did for deck time. I promised lemondrops for the girls. I shook some up in short order. Muy Bueno!

We sat on the deck and traded class reunion stories. Jeff, Vic and I all took part in ours 4th of July weekend. (those Class of 76ers rule!) It was a glorious summer night to sit on a deck. Except for that moth that wanted to fly into my drink. We knew Wilts wouldn't arrive until 11ish, so we tried to stretch out our drinks until then.

Bobbie and Jeff had to hang it up about 10:30, and the rest of us headed inside to escape the bugs. Right about 11 PM, headlights hit the picture window - 2 cars as each adult is heading separate ways today. Welcome hugs all around. And fresh drinks! Odie was in doggy heaven - so many peeps to love. The fellas stayed up late, after we girls retired about 12:30 AM.

In the morning (getting up time, not when we went to bed), the guys headed to Corning to play golf (Creston courses were tied up with tourneys) and we chicks drove to DSM to hit the Farmer's Market. Late start of course, so not as much time to look around as we'd have liked. But Kay rang up college buddy Mary Morman-Graham who met us there. I purchased fresh produce such as a collapsible water bottle and a Dutch Letter.

We then went to Dos Rios for lunch - where we snapped some photos. I also got an earlier shot of the Wilt girls in front of the bail bond shop. (ironic-no? they are the cleanest cut kids evah) We also made a stop in West Glenn at Sticks and I swung by Jordan Creek on the way home.

Stopped at HyVee to get Alyssa a bday cake in Creston as her 17th bday is today! Hard to believe. The guys pulled in to our house shortly after we did - they been mega golfing. To the tune of 54 holes! You see in Corning $99 got them 2 carts and all day golfing for 3. They couldn't pass up that bargain. They were still pretty peppy for old guys after all that. We grilled steaks and chicken breasts, and I made cheesy potatoes. It was pretty good - followed by Alyssa's chosen cheesecake bday cake with candles.  Another nice night sitting on the deck - with great friends.

I couldn't help but reflect once again how very blessed I am to have so many fantastic friends. Cool people - who love for who, and despite of who I am. Through thick and thin - through the years these peeps have been there. And they will continue to be - and we'll be there for them. That's what friends are for. Love 'em!  

No comments: