Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Saturday night's alright for chatting

Back to a rundown of the AHS class reunion weekend. Saturday - after the walk through the old neighborhood, the rest of the day went quickly! Paul and I first shopped in friendly downtown Atlantic. While I can no longer say "charge it to my dad," in the stores, like I could back in 1972, I still enjoy shopping in Atown. Back then, I'd give the clerk my name and they'd send an invoice to my folks. No plastic needed!

Our first stop downtown was at Bonneson's 5 & 10. The clerk there was sure to speak to us as we walked in the door. The candy counter looks much the same as it did when the store was across located the street, and I would stock up on pixie stix, wax lips and lemon heads. Today Bonneson's is chock full of a variety of goods - from candy to fabric to Iowa and Iowa State stuff. Next we were off to Brown's Shoe Fit where the manager was very nice and happily accepted our Cabela's Visa for the lovely Clark's sandals I found on sale. We bought flowers for the cemetary and made a stop there where five generations of Bullocks are buried.

We met Chris and Paula for bite to eat at Bob's Downtowner, checked out the school, and looked at photos on the wall at the new Atlantic YMCA. The picture is of our girl's basketball group, circa 1969? What a hoot! Mrs. Key was the leader, Chris and Paula reminded me, with crabby Mr. Holt holding down the fort as manager of the Y.

And at the new Atlantic Y, my mom's photo is on the wall for a volleyball championship with Betty Pellett and Bev Freese (Mom's bestie who died of lupus in 1975). I don't even remember mom playing volleyball. The Atlantic YMCA is a beautiful facility with a huge weightroom. I'm sure it doesn't have the heart of the old place though - oh the fun I had on that trampoline!

Paul and I stopped at the Country Club to check out the accomodations for the evening and most importantly make sure the bar was set up. Old guys were playing pitch in the bar. I stopped to say "hi" to Don Reinertson and Ron Guttenfelder. Seemed like Dad should be sitting there! Then Paul and I went back to Chestnut Charm to get ready for the big night.

Of course as hostess, I wanted to get to the Club first. Paul got me a nice vodka tonic, and we sat and waited for the other 76ers. While we waited we got to see some old friends! It was good to talk to Collette and Chuck Kinen - Mom and Dad's neighbors at the condo. Chuck is battling pancreatic cancer - so good to see him looking pretty good. His daughter Lynn is married and lives in Creston. Her husband Mike McCabe coached Amy in several sports and their kids are around our kids' ages. There are a number of Creston/Atlantic connections. (but we all know Atlantic is kinda snooty but richer, and Creston is plainer but good hearted).

I also got to say hello to Dick and Pat McCauley - parents of my HS BF Mike McCauley. That fam will always have a warm place in my heart! Pat played the violin at our wedding. Mike lives in Michigan and didn't make it back for the reunion - some story about bike trips he needs to go on. Likely story!

Classmates started heading in to the Country Club. Fun to chat with everyone! Facebook friends can see them all there on my page. I took photos throughout the meeting.

I know people were prolly disappointed, but I didn't make any big Roger Underwood type speeches, and all too soon the meal was over. After that, many of us headed downtown for a photo opp at the Atlantic sign.




The girls then headed to the community center for Pianopalooza - dueling pianos, held in conjunction with the All Class Reunion. We got to see some '75ers like Pat Riggs and Marci Merrick. Plus Chris's bro John and wife Amy were there. But it was too loud, so we headed to a bar out by HyVee, so we could talk. I realized my time with my friends was growing short!

We had quite a tableful of folks! Robyn, her sis Lynn Henningsen, Joan, Chris D, Chris W, Candace and her husband Matt, Paula, Sally, Julia and Toni Mason (who got home so late her 81 year old dad got worried and drove around looking for her..). Finally it was time to head out. On the way back to Chestnut Charm (Paula and Chris D rode with us), we had an inane conversation about the Bauer girl who was in the Animal House movie and Chuck Templeman....

Again - lots of laughing throughout the day. Did I mention how I much I love to hang with my girlfriends of the class of '76?  I guess when you:
  • Go to birthday parties with people when you're little, popping balloons with your bottom - and then win prizes!
  • Attend school with kids every year, playing together at recess - 4 square, kickball, boys chase girls, the 5th grade girl's video on getting one's monthly curse (aka eating hohos)
  • slumber parties - staying up all night, "light as a feather, stiff as a board", dance contests, sneaking out, feed us Faust
  • Y-Dances, Jr High Dances, 4-H Dances, Church Dances
  • Keggers, Driver's Ed and so much more
You never forget your bond!  So my goodness - I've been through a lot with these girls. My formative years! So I hope we still have a few formations ahead of us. We plan to get together again in a couple years. Some people mentioned Okoboji - but it's off the beaten path. I'm thinking someplace easier to fly into. But hell, I'm up for anyplace these chicks wanna go!

No comments: