Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Atown Girls in the Big O

My ribs hurt. Somebody shoulda filmed us because sizzle - we are smokin' hot funny! At least in our own minds!

I headed out from my place Thursday shortly after lunch - stopping in Atlantic to pick up my friend Joanie Troll Farmer whom I hadn't seen for prolly 25 years. We cruised to Omaha and were first to arrive at Chris Watson's house. Her house was not far from where I lived in Omaha - in fact I got off the freeway on Pacific, but turned off on 120thBut it wasn't long before Sally and Julia, Pam and Robyn got there. Soon we broke out the beverages.

Chris got out some snacks. I had brought some fixins' for - you guessed it - lemondrop martinis. Except Alexx - Chris's daughter had to run out for some Sweet/Sour mix for me (yeah, she's a sweetie) Forty years melt away as we begin to laugh about old times - Joan's old Chevy rollin' up to my house to pick me up for school, cigarette smoke rolling out of it. Black Water playing on the 8 Track player. We sing along.

How did the bond develop? Hmm? Not overnight. And evidently it doesn't ever go away. And it reappears whenever we get back together. Some of us have been since we were 3 years old. We went to Mrs. Luin's Nursery School together and lived in the same neighborhood.

Once we were a few drinks in last Thursday night, it was time to walk to the restaurant. (good idea, no need for a designated driver). We staggered around the corner, thinking we'd eat Mexican, but that place was closed - fortunately, another restaurant down the road was open featuring an nice bass player and great burgers! Food was needed. Of course we were the life of the party at the joint, and people lined up to take our photo - including an online magazine photographer.

After we walked back from there, another friend, Candace had arrived. It was pretty loud in the place by then. Joan was truly enjoying herself! The rest of us had fun telling the story of our 50 year gathering - when we nearly got arrested. I retired to Chris's bed close to 1 a.m.

We got up around 7 a.m. (we're old - we wake up early) to drink coffee, talk and sit on the deck. We chatted about our lives, Pam told us about her daughter who is moving to Seattle and her brother-in-law, our classmate who recently died. All too soon it was time to head home. I hated to say goodbye to Pam, who couldn't make it to Atlantic for the rest of the weekend. Off to get Pablo!

No comments: