Saturday, July 23, 2011

Deep thoughts during mass

Once again during Holy Mass I was daydreaming. I know...I'm going straight to hell. At least I wasn't thinking about what I was going to eat next! I do enjoy the music, and try to listen. I just have a little MAD. (Mass Attention Disorder) I've had it since childhood. I don't think I'm the only one.

We attended our usual Saturday evening Mass. During Father Pin's homily, as he attempted to get his point across, he told the story of a little boy in a sand box. That's what got me started daydreaming. But then somebody's phone started ringing. And unfortunately they didn't answer it. The caller was a persistent bugger! Finally Father said -" I'll wait for you to get that before I go on". He wasn't snotty about it, though he had a right to be, really. So there was a break and he went on...and it rang again! He said, "Check your purse!" Finally, thank God (or some higher being) it stopped.

So I started thinking fondly about our old sandbox - while listening a bit to the story Father told of the kid who found a giant rock in his sandbox and wasn't strong enough to get it out, even though he tried and tried. Finally his dad came out and said why didn't you use all your resources? The kid says, "I did." But the dad says - you didn't ask me! So - now I get it - the dad is God and I'm the kid....enter the way-back machine.

Oh how I loved my sandbox at our house in Atlantic. It was made of plywood and had little triangle seats in the corners. When I was really little, it was right next to our driveway. By the swing set. Later, I don't know why, we moved the swing set into the back yard and the sandbox farther back, just below the deck - at the top of the woods.

Every so often my parents would have a load of new sand delivered - that was when it was most fun - before the neighborhood cats had their way with it. We would make roads in it, and sometimes add water to really make it moldable. I bet Mom hated it when we trotted in the house with our clothes all full of the stuff - but I don't remember a thing about that.

And so it goes - I did get the point of the homily, and had my walk down memory lane too! Plus I turned my cell phone off before church.

No comments: