Sunday, July 31, 2011

It lived up to the hype

You know how you can get yourself all jacked up with expectations for a big event, and then are disappointed when reality bites? This last weekend was just as good as I'd hoped - maybe better! I LOVE when that happens. You have to grasp those times in your memory treasure chest, for the other times - when life happens.

You may recall it was Brett and Shawna's wedding weekend. I've been hearing about details and plans of the wedding for the past year, during their engagement, from my bestie Deb. Through the winter, she and I often go to the little coffee shop perched on one end of the hardware store in town. Yep, only in small town Iowa. They have comfy chairs, just like the chains - and it's run by a gal I used to work with at Gits Mfg. It's kinda fun though - you get to see people you know popping in for toilet parts or gift cards (they carry that stuff too).

Deb and I sit there while Paul and Larry are in their respective homes watching the Packers play football. And we catch up on our lives - last year it was Amy's job drama and fun activities in Colorado, Jud's job hunt and budding relationship with Kara, Keith's relationship with Kelsey and internship, and Brett's grad degree and upcoming marriage. Plus our jobs, religion and politics. I'd say sex, but I know youngsters read this and I don't want to gross anyone out.

Deb has taken great joy in the wedding planning process. Not that she did a great deal regarding the wedding itself - Brett and Shawna did most of that, which is impressive considering they lived in Nashville and were planning a Des Moines wedding. But Deb had to take care of her MOG situation - and she wanted to look damn good. Mission accomplished my friend! Plus the families catered the rehearsal dinner themselves, so that took some planning - can't wait to hear how it went.

Back to this weekend. We got Amy picked up Friday a.m. at the KC airport, stopped and saw Jud's workplace, and made it home to Creston by noon to eat at Elm's Club. That night, we took Amy to our new local watering hole, The Lobby to meet Bobbie and Jeff for drinks. Donnie was there too, alas Diana didn't make it. Such fun to have Amy hear their stories and for her to tell about her life in the big city. It was on to A&G for supper, where we ran into more people Amy hadn't seen for ages. Her friend Stormy showed up later, so we went home to get our rest, while she partied and chatted until 1 a.m.

Saturday a.m we were surprised by a short visit from our wonderful friend Mary Faber, formerly of Creston, here for a fam reunion. What a nice way to start the day! Then we were off to DSM where we met Kara, Jud and Amy's college roomie Rachelle for lunch at Cheesecake Factory. One of Amy's HS classmate's played an evil trick on her by having her boyfriend, our waiter, call Amy by name. You should have seen the look on her face! Then her classmate - also named Amy came out and the gig was up!

The wedding was at 6 p.m. - performed by Father Leonard Kenkel, priest during most our childrens' St. Malachy education. Cory Gerleman (former CHS athlete and son of teacher and coach) sang at the mass. Deb said she fought tears as she was walked up the aisle by her son. I was struggling to get a photo - when I noticed my camera was set on video! It was a beautiful ceremony, and soon the wedding couple was off in a street car.

The reception was very elegant - held at the Temple of the Performing Arts, just a couple blocks from the hotel. Food was good, drinks abundant. Amy and I went with vodka/soda with lime. Larry Peterson, Deb's husband gave a great speech welcoming Shawna to the family. And the dancing began! The DJs didn't have to do any coaxing - people were ready to go - Love Shack was early and Deb got us out there. I think I even spied Kara and Jud out there later on. I danced with Pablo, Diana and I did the Electric Shuffle (or whatever it's called..), and we had a great time.
Having fun together again...

At midnight, we headed back to the Marriott Bar, where I enjoyed sitting with Bucks, Millers and McKims. But over by the bar Amy, Rachelle and Jenna sat talking to Amy's classmates and I enjoyed watching them have a good time together. Jud and Kara had bailed out earlier - hmmm tired I guess. It's hard to work 40 hours a week and keep up with the old folks! When we got kicked out of that bar, it was time for this kid to go night night!

Sunday, when I had a chance to think over the events of the day before, I was filled with a sense of joy and great satisfaction - to have a chance once again to enjoy an event like this with both of our children with us. Life is good! We all went to breakfast at Perkins on Jordan Creek Parkway before Amy, Jud and Kara took off. Another - small world moment when we ran into our niece (Paul's sis Carol's daughter) Barb with her daughter Mandy. It was hard to say goodbye to my children - even Kara. But I didn't embarrass myself by crying this time (see Christmas). Tonight - I'm exhausted - but for a good cause. Sigh.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
fumiowilliam said...

Thanks for sharing this blog. Piano Maniacs is the Best Dueling Pianos in Sharon, Dueling Pianos is made up of a team of musicians who have worked together for many years. Most of us have been entertainment managers at national piano bar chains.

Hire dueling pianos in Ohio