Thursday, November 25, 2010

Many Thanks

I started out Thanksgiving morn the way I like to - by attending Mass. It's really one of my favorite masses of the year. I always liked Midnight Mass as it was fun to see all the families home for the holidays - though the past couple years we've been in Vail, Colorado. But Thanksgiving Mass is small - it's not a holy day or a Sunday, so people don't have to be there. So it's small.

Why do I like it? Because it's truly a chance for me to take time to give thanks - to whomever is out there...a higher power, nature...for all of the good things in my life. Because even though at the very time I was at church, our water heater was being replaced for $700 (after the old one chose Thanksgiving Eve to leak all over our newly cleaned downstairs).

And there are some other things I'm worried about, and to not be so thankful for. Like our two-party system. WTF!?! They seem to have become the parties of obstruction of each other - not about governing for the best of the people. Supergerms - how are we going to conquer these things? Aging - I can't be nearly in my mid 50's can I? I hope we stay healthy because we are enjoying this stage of our lives. Jobs - what are Paul and I going to do when we grow up? Will Iowa's new Gov cut my job? Is the environment going to hell in a handbasket?

But stuff to be thankful for totally outshines those things - at least on a day-to-day basis!
  • Our family - Amy and Jud are growing up to be great, responsible, fun loving people.
  • The rest of the fam - Goldsmiths/Bullocks - who could ask for more? No bad actors dipping joy out of our buckets. My niece's wedding in LA last summer was such fun - seeing extended family. We'll see lots of Goldsmiths tomorrow - can't wait! George/Laura & Pat/Dave would be so proud.
  • Friends - I've said it before how blessed we are with friends. If friends were cash we'd Oprah and Bill Gates. Starting with friends from early childhood - like Robyn, Sal, and Christie Jo to the rest of my Atlantic buddies - too many to list. What a great group! On to college - the people I really grew up with. Jane, Vicki, Sally (again), Moose and Steve and then Paul and his friends.
  • Creston - our hometown and the people here. As we ponder our future - where should we live? It sucks to live in 2 places, we know that much is true. No matter what happens parts of our hearts will always lie here - with the town and the people who helped raise 2 wonderful kids, and helped us mourn for the baby that didn't make it.
  • Iowa State University - the place I really grew up. I truly love it there, even though it wasn't easy. I had to learn to study and parcel out my time between social time and school. I learned to cheer for the Cyclones - a very humbling experience which has lead me to wonderful highs and depressing lows. Though I never pressed it I was pleased when both Amy and Jud chose to attend ISU.
  • A wonderful warm house - with water that should soon be hot! And for attentive service providers like Glenn Orr who took time out of his own Thanksgiving to install our water heater.
  • For Lila and Bill, and the Taylors our pet sitters. They make it so we're able to leave town knowing our pets are safe.
  • My job at the Department of Natural Resources - I feel like all my other jobs were leading up to this one! I can't believe I've been there two years already, and hope the new gov is selective about cuts. I love what I do.
  • Books! I love to read. My laptop - keeps me in touch and is my creative outlet for things like this blog.
  • My Subaru - please little car, don't hit any more critters and keep trucking through anything this winter throws at us!
  • Time to go make the Scalloped Corn - another thing I'm thankful for...Mom's recipe. Yum!
  • Oh - I'd be remiss if I didn't mention that Poolboy - my husband Paul. My rock and lover.

No comments: