Sunday, November 7, 2010

The day flew by











Of course it did! Just like they always do on days like yesterday at the Big 4 Plus More reunion. The event was one of the bigger ISU games in the past couple years. ISU was playing Nebraska at home for the last time in, well that's it. Kaput as the Fuskers take off to join the Big 10.

The More part - crazy! Several other people joining my three college roomies and me. A plast from our past! It all started...(wayback machine/swirly thoughts above Leslie's head) four girls ended up living in Schilling house in Maple dorm in 1976. From this start, lifelong friends were made. I had known Sally Rodgers from childhood, but we didn't plan to live on the same dorm floor. It was karma. Vicki Gernand (now Behr) and Jane Flack (Conn) were two other smalltown girls we started hanging with, thanks to a ping pong table in between the 'vators.

Sally's daughter Lauren was admitted to Vet School at ISU this fall, so Sal called to say she was coming for the November 6th game. Things took off from there. Sal now lives on Portland, Oregon so it has been many years since the four of us have gotten together. Jane lives in Waukee (where I live during each week) and Vicki in Northfield, MN. I warned Vic "if you don't come, we'll talk about you!" haha.

Another ISU Schilling girl in attendance was my good friend Julia Hoilien - Atlantic friend, now living outside Boulder, CO. Another Atlantic buddy Marci Merrick (Hinners) stopped over and brought along her sis Cindy - ah memories of my Sunnyside Pool lifeguard days. It was old home week!

Our buddy Hauser lives in Eagan, MN - he's our buddy from the Big 4 years. In fact he may have started that nickname. We were hoping Moose would/could drive over from Chicago but no such luck. ;>(

When Paul and I got together we successfully melded our two friend groups together - and while he was just hunting with Mike Huston, (best man at our wedding and veterinarian near LaCrosse, WI) he must have waxed very poetically about this weekend. Before you knew it, Mike and wife Paula (also a vet) were on board! Add Tom Sullivan, our Des Moines pal (another vet) and his friend Shirley.

All these people were in addition to the regular crowd - our great Crestonian tailgate crew - McKims, McFees and Higgins. This game Matt Buck had offered to smoke ribs and other meats for the game. I swear I could smell it at Hilton Coliseum when I got out of our car! Our tailgate was a beehive of activity.

Pablo mixed up Bloody Marys asap when we got there. So let's say I was relaxed and happy all day. And those years (it's been 30 since the Big 4 met) do simply melt away. I love those ladies - living together for 3 formative years really bonds people permanently! So no matter what happens - and that we have gone on to become different people with our own busy lives. We's sistas!

The game - that's a whole different story. I didn't go though - stayed out with my girlies and Mike and Tom to catch up. Watched the end on the RV TV. Hauser used my ticket and he had the time of his life. Except ISU lost in OT. Heart breaker - damn fuskers and fans. Just like the Hawks - so satisfying to beat. But this game. This was about my friends. We better not wait another 20 years to get this group back together! (hell we'd be 73!)

No comments: