Monday, November 29, 2010

Back to work


It's harder to go back to work after five nights at home. I get all settled in or something. Now I'm in Des Moines through Friday as I have a conference call meeting that day. Long Week.

Amy is a good story teller. She entertained me as we drove (I rode) home from Earlville on the phone - thank goodness my cellie didn't cut out in the badlands - the hills north of Creston. The place Amy works, Marzyck's, a gourmet market owned by a couple brothers Pete and Paul Marzyck (thus, the name) provides much of the fodder for Amy's stories. It reminds me of the crazy grocery wholesaler I used to work for. Maybe it's the food business that's nutty. (Nuts ARE food...hmmm maybe I'm onto something)

Today (it's now Tuesday) I began writing this on Monday and didn't get too far. It's November 30, Joan McFee Bentley, my roommate's (landlady actually) birthday. Joan is one of the nicest people I have ever known - but not one of those "so sweet I want to smack her upside the head" sweeties. You know the kind. They make my teeth rot. They seem fakey, like they're putting on an act, and when they get behind closed doors their head swivels all the way around and they breath fire!

Nope, Joan is the real deal. I've known her for twenty years now - since Jud was one - that's how I remember. Back then we went skiing with Jeff (her bro) & Bobbie and Moose & Kay, Dennie & Mendy and Joanie & her fiance Kevin who was recovering from colon cancer treatment. But after that he had a recurrence and unfortunately it got the best of him. She never got to marry the love of her life.

She stayed single for a long time - moved to Kansas City with Fed Ex and back to DSM. Paul even helped Jeff moved her and her gazillion shoes. A few years ago she married a guy from Diagonal whom she dated after high school - Billy Bentley. He's here tonight after bringing her roses and taking her to supper. They spend weekends together, mostly at his place in Diagonal. Happy Bday roomie!

No comments: