Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Oh Betty


Update 8/20 - went to Visitation for Betty last night in Mallard - my first trip to that clean little burg. A tribute to the McKim family how many Creston folk made the nearly 3 hour trip from Creston for the evening. While we were there (and that wasn't until nearly 7 PM and it started at 3 PM) we saw Bucks, Stofferahns, Nielsons, Mosteks, Conovers, Bergstroms, Dan and Denise Miller, Pals, McKees. I know Higgins and Casses were there too before we got there.
We rode with Steve Crittenden and Jeff McFee - I drove to the place off I-80 north of Greenfield after work where I met those guys with Paul.
Thinking back, in times of tragedy, Don and Diana are often first on the scene to offer comfort. I remember when Patrick died - they came and sat in our living room. I know they went right out the Crittenden's after Eric tragically took his own life. They've been here for all of us. And people wanted to give a little back.
Betty's death has made me feel so weepy. I confess I made Diana cry as I went through the receiving line last night. (sorry Dee) She was doing so well too. It makes me miss Dad, and Mom too I suppose - though it's been so long since she passed.
On the way home we stopped at an Udder something place for pork tenderloins as Dwight Conover suggested. Several other Crestonites were there. It was quite delicious.
Pic above:
Betty with grand daughter Katie McKim.
We've had many a fun time through the past 23 years with our friends the McKims - including last weekend. They rode with us to Osage Beach as all of us had to work through Thursday morning and the rest of the kids were able to leave before that. I met Diana as I did many of my Creston friends thanks to sorority.

When I first went to ISU I went out for rush - to get into a sorority like my mom and my sister Cindy had. But the greek system at Iowa State was huge back then and I didn't cut it - bounced for not being cool enough. It was very traumatic - until I met Vicki the first week of school and moved on.

So it was surprising that another sorority - for grown women - helped us meet so many people when we were new to Creston. Sharon Higgins, Bobbie McFee and Diana McKim were just a few of the soon to be great friends that I met in 1987. Sorority involved not only meetings with just the chicks - we also had social events, when our husbands were allowed to take part. Hayrides, traveling dinners, card parties - and more.

McFees and McKims had children our children's ages - so we ended up carpooling for pre-school together. And so it went, soccer teams and other activities our lives have been intertwined. Another great unifier with the McKims is the fact that they are huge Cyclone fans! A lonely place to be during the 15 years straight when the Hawkeyes were kicking our asses. When Jud scared us (I thought he was dying in the bathtub) when he was just over 1, and we rushed to the hospital, it was Diana I called to come get Amy while we waited for the docs to figure out why his temp had shot up (roseola - not meningitis thank goodness). They're those kinda friends.

We've shared joys through the years- Creston Panthers state basketball victory in 1997! Finally beating Iowa - was it later that same year in football. McKims have been with us through some of our sad time - when Patrick and our parents died they cried with us.

Through the years we've gotten to know their parents - at graduations and family events. And lately they've even gotten to know us - they come to tailgate at ISU games. Last year at the ISU Bowl Game in Tempe, Diana and Don's parents came up from their winter homes just south of there to attend the game with us.

Diana's Mom Betty is such a warm person - she hated to see me so nervous at the end of the ISU/Minnesota game - when the Cyclone were in danger of losing. I put my face in my lap - afraid to watch. Betty was behind me - patting my back "it be okay" she said in her lilted Italian accent. Jim, D's father had met her after the war in Italy and married her.

Yesterday I learned that Betty was killed in a car accident. I am so very sad. Even though Betty was getting on in years, a tragic death for all. We're all hurting for the Brown/McKim family.
Obituary of Betty's life - such an interesting story of how she ended up in Mallard, Iowa. http://www.messengernews.net/page/content.detail/id/527178.html?nav=5011

4 comments:

Diana said...

Leslie,
Can't even begin to find the words to thank you enough for saying such nice things about Mom and us. Not sure I deserve it, but I know she does. She truly lived a servant's life and touched many people along the way. Nearly 600 people came to the visitation that night (including many Creston friends...amazing friends). She would have been so proud. And the flowers from Coach Rhoads would have made her smile :) Because of all your gifts and support, she is standin a little taller in heaven...maybe over 5'!!

Diana said...

Wanted to add... I'm glad you figured out you were in Mallard by the end of your blog. Or did you go to Fonda too?

And the anal accountant type that I am want's to edit my comment typo. I never use "standin". I guess our weekends in Missouri have been eroding my grammatical standards ;)

Diana - the grammar nazi said...

This is why I can't/don't facebook. Since when does "wants" have an apostrophe? Geez...

lgold said...

I don't usually proof my blogs too well so I must apologize for all typos and grammar errors. I fixed the Mallard/Fonda error, so now you look like a dodo. haha! Actually all those towns in NW Iowa are all the same to me...