Sunday, August 8, 2010

Excellent long weekend!







Strapped the kayaks on the Subaru and headed NE. Stop 1 was at Fox River Mills in Osage - visited with Karla Smith, who I worked with back the the day (1984-1986) in the computer dept. there. Jeez I think they still have the same carpet and paneling at the plant! Good to see her.

Then on to the FMC Landfill about 15 miles away for some work. I like visiting sites so I can picture them when I talk to directors etc. Spent about an hour there with a short tour - you'd think Ken, the director doesn't get many visitors. He didn't want us to leave! He gave me a pint of pickles he canned himself - kinda sweet (the gesture though I'm sure the pickles are sweet too).

On to Decorah - Hotel Winneshiek. Lovely place, nice folks. Downtown Decorah is worth a visit - some nice restaurants and shops. We ended up at a hoppin' sports bar. The next a.m. I stopped at the Decorah Recycling facility and met with the manager and the landfill director there. Took about an hour then we were off to kayak - yippy!

Took off about 11 a.m. - beautiful day. River was busy but not packed like I'm sure it was all weekend. We stopped a bit after noon to eat our sandwiches on a sandbar. The river was high for August but not scary high. A couple bald eagles flew overhead. The terrain was lovely as usual - limestone peaks, exciting riffles to scoot over in my kayak. All too soon - around 2:30 PM we were done, pulling in at Hruska's Campground for our ride back to our car. Our poor Necky kayaks were dust covered from gravel when we arrived.

We got to jail around 4 PM. That's the Jailhouse Bed & Breakfast in Preston, MN for the Goldsmith reunion. Ken, Mary and Carol were there. Off to the Branding Iron at 6 PM for supper - met Foxes, Kelli and Denny, Vorwalds and Larry and Regina there. Somebody was having a 75th bday - noise level was jet engine level and not from the Goldsmiths!

Next day it was golf for some, Regina biked and I shopped with Mary. Last night's meal was catered at the Jail, followed by cards and hanging out. A couple grandkids arrived with their own children for that event - Annette with Megan/Caleb and Karen (Andy golfed) and Erik and Mark.

We took off around 10 AM and were home by 2:30 PM this afternoon - in time to go through the usual routine of laundry packing etc. Breakfast tomorrow with the homegirls - except Teacher (Deb) won't be there as she's on vaca. Another 3 day week for me as we're off to the Ozarks Thursday with friends. I like this schedule!

No comments: