Sunday, August 1, 2010

Best weather weekend 'o the summer

Had to get to August to get it! What a strange weather year we're experiencing. I won't get into the whole global warming argument here - just suffice to say, it's frickin' not normal! We had an awful winter - brutal in fact (just look back at my constant bitching through March and you'll see).

April wasn't too bad. Since then - on-going rain throughout Iowa, causing awful flooding for lots of families. I can only complain because it's effect on my disposition and my daily activities. I've not had to deal with wet basements and flooded front rooms thank goodness. This summer has been brutal - just like winter, only uh, warmish.

Friday night was quite humid as we'd had rain in brief bouts through the afternoon. Then the sun came out and it was hot. I was still a bit bloated from my surgery, but much better than Thursday - light (gas coming out the..) at the end of my long colon tunnel. Phew!

I picked up some sweet corn on Adams Street on my way home from meeting Paul at the Elms Club for lunch. The Gates fam is known for plump tender ears of corn - bargain for $4/dozen. You just pull up to the curb and roll down your window and they deliver and take your $ - small town service! So we got some Top of Iowa sirloin and bag 'o salad and wa-laa. Instant meal on a Friday night. It was so very yummy. Paul is the bestest steak griller - learned from my daddy.

Headed for Bobbie and Jeff's for proposed deck time after 7 PM, but Jeff, who spends his time in the weather all day farming, could not stand another minute in the hot sun. So we went to the cool confines of A&G where beer and lemondrops were chill. Higgins and McKims were there and they're pretty cool too. I kept it to 1 drink - still in recovery mode. The others were in full swing FAC though! After they all ate we headed to McKim's deck and there we sat until 12:30 a.m. We told bat stories and watched the hazy fog roll in.

So much for walking early Saturday a.m. I slept in until 8:15 and by then it was too hot already! Paul made a big breakfast and we got busy cleaning. (see yesterday's blog)

Last night Deb showed up first - Paul and I were out in the driveway, just like Ma and Pa Kettle sipping bloody marys. Spicy! P whipped up one for her while she received Odie lovin'. We never run out of stuff to talk about with Debbie. Shortly thereafter more folks started rolling in - we had munchies. Fireworks were on at 10ish. Wish I had a photo - but my phone died. Oh, and Betso Bean - the fireflies (aka lightning bugs) were out. Along with other bugs.

This a.m. we got up fairly early and got in a 6 mile walk before 9. Read the paper and sat on the deck and finished my book while Paul went to the woods and retrieved his photo chips from his deer cameras. It was so nice and quiet on the deck. Nobody (including the nutty neighbor who lusts after my husband) was mowing. Oh nutjob had been, but finished up smoking/mowing while we walked. birds chirped. Locusts made that noise they make.

For just a while there I lived in the moment - it's not always easy for me to do. I'm often thinking of "what's next" packing, vacations, work, visits with children and other family. Looking ahead. I watched a butterfly flitter about - bringing Patrick to mind. Too soon it was time to get something done (and I was done with my book).

Did laundry. Started packing. Talked to the kids on the phone.

It was a nice relaxing Creston weekend.

Thinking ahead again... Our next two weekends will be a lot of driving and running. Goldsmith reunion in SE Minnesota coming up followed by Osage Beach, MO with Creston friends the next weekend. Should be fun - can't wait!

3 comments:

amy e. goldsmith said...

i had one of those amazing moments yesterday at this quiet lake after a long hike in the mountains. we could see ranges of mountains off in the distance and i just wanted to freeze time. it was incredible.

did someone new move in next door? i've never heard of nutjob.

lgold said...

A new nutjob took your old coach's place...she loves your daddy.

Anonymous said...

thanks for the firefly shoutout!