Sunday, August 22, 2010

I am now officially the clumsy sister

Betso bean used to be it. The clumsy sister. When we were little she was skinny and gawky - and, well...clumsy. She got stitches twice just because she was klutzy. She fell down a lot.

Oh Susi broke her wrist swinging on Germain's willow tree - it was just a "green" break" whatever that meant. And Cindo broke her wrist (or was it her collar bone?) on the concrete stairs outside our back door, when it was icy. She says Mom told her to "suck it up" and then days later it was still painful and it was revealed to be a break. Mom wasn't known for rushing us to the Doc. I did the "run from boys", jump off slide, break arm thing in nursery school. But we weren't uncoordinated.

Betsy was. One time I think we were playing in the woods - that 10 yard wide stretch of trees in the lot next to our house. We were always building forts and "houses" in there - pioneers that we were. That day this particular fort had a door with a doorbell. When Betsy rang the doorbell, the door frame fell on her head and yep, stitches.

Our mother was a trendsetter when it came to home decorating. That's where I got my eclectic style from anyway. She put hardwood floors in our house when most people still had linoleum. We all liked to slide around it in our socks - we'd get a running start from our bedroom and slide down the front hallway into the kitchen. Except one time when Dad had gotten home and put his leather briefcase down and Betso tripped up somehow and fell headfirst into it. Stitches.

Then there was the time she touched Swisher's dog's bad leg - it bit her right on the cheek. Lulabelle, our babysitter when Mom was out of town overnight was doing double duty - sitting Annie Swisher and us. So we were at Swishers when it happened. We rushed downtown to Dr. Wilcox's office (that was in the days before the new medical clinic). It was bleeding like a bitch!

We were in back and the nurse was trying to give tiny little Bets a tetanus shot - when Betsy bit her. Then the nurse had to have a tetanus shot. Take that shot giving nurse. I may be Bitsy Betsy Bullock but I bite! Finally Dr. Wilcox got Betsy's cheek stitched up (with 4 or so people holding her down - the little wildcat). Later in life, she had microsurgery to stitch it up finer and today you can hardly tell it was chomped on.

Back to me and my clumsiness. You may recall my stair incident at Joan's last October. Broken foot - it's fine now by the way. I noticed on Betsy's Facebook (yes this is all her fault too) that she was working on her cupboards cleaning. I though - I too should do that! So after being in my happy place yesterday a.m. I whipped out the Old Gold and began to oil up the cupboards we installed in 2007. They're tall so I got a stool Paul built when the kids were small.

Bad idea! I was on the bamboo floor - slick. I started on the door above the dishwasher. As I scooted to the edge of the stool to reach up to do the top of the first cupboard, the stool tipped up and shot out from under me! I flew through the air (and not with the greatest of ease) landing in the walkway to the table tailbone first - lucky to miss hitting my head on the counter.

I gasped/grunted. Odie took this to mean "Mommy wants to play!" and jumped on my chest licking my face. Paul was at work (yes it was Saturday - he is a dedicated public servant working overtime for nothing). I assessed whether or not I was paralyzed. My toes wiggled. My tailbone hurt! Tears welled in my eyes. I stayed there a while, then slowly got up. Painful buttocks area, but liveable.

Mad! What a dumbshit I am! Is this what I am to be like in old age? A tottering old woman who falls a lot? Am I a broken hip waiting to happen. I'll tell you after falling last year I am now a confirmed handrail holder on stairs. I took Motrin and continued doing cupboards in pain. Left the high stuff for Paul - fu&% the stool - why did I choose that one? Why don't we have a safe stepladder thingy like most families?

I was going to kayak today with Deb - I need a Deb kayak fix. Now I fear that's out, unless I break out the good painkillers. The tailbone is quite sore - mostly when I get up or sit down, and go up steps. Hope nothing is cracked.

But I sure wish I had a video of me flying through the air. That had to be funny!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

You know there are some things from childhood one just does not want to relive? Now my clumsiness, in all it's glory, is there for all to see in print!

Sorry about the accident--luckily, I survived the annual cupboard cleaning without a fall, even though I was perched upon one of the step stools you both so lovingly made for one of the kids.

I hope nothing is broken. And beware all--I have been told I still have a mean bite! LOL!

lgold said...

That's the kind of stool that jumped out from under me! BEWARE. Buy a Rubbermaid stepstool now before you're 50.
Oh Bets - at least you were a cute clumsy kid. I'm a wrinkly clumsy old lady. Not cute.

amy e. goldsmith said...

everything happens for a reason. maybe god wanted you to fall off the stool so you could have something to blog about.

lgold said...

God must be desperate for a laugh!