Saturday, August 21, 2010

In my happy place

Kayaking is another happy place!

Marco Island - my annual Happy Place

My buddy Bobbie is in her "happy place" down at Lake of the Ozarks. I think she has other places that make her happy. I know she likes to sit on her deck.

This morning Pablo and I got up and did a 6 mile walk. I wasn't up for the 9 miler Deb and the other gals were doing. I admit I've been slacking on training - and not just on weekends. Deb, Susan, Patti, Bobbie, Diana, Pat - all work out most days of the week. Since July, I've averaged maybe 1 or 2 days if I'm lucky that I get walks in.

Working out is just easier when I have peer pressure - that group that I know will ask "where were you?" if I don't show up. With this work schedule it's just too easy to come up with excuses. And I do. I could get up at 5 am, walk 4 miles and still make it to work before 7:30, only an hour later than I go in now. I know I'm better at exercising in the a.m. than in the p.m. But I don't.

And weekends - forget about it these past few weeks. I've been on vacation. Did take walking clothes along, but am just not disciplined enough to drink and eat all day and then get up and walk. I'm a slug! Plus I've been eating like crap - (see below for a sampling of my diet - deep fat fried corn dog for God's sake!)

I have low self esteem due to my poor self care during this time...
So I gave Paul the talk this a.m. during our walk. I asked him not to submarine my efforts. I want to eat healthier again - get back on the straight and narrow path to better overall self care.

After our walk this a.m. I'm in one of my happy places. On my deck writing this blog. I haven't gotten enough deck time this summer. Too much rain and running around. Not enough home time. Got my computer, my book. Earlier my baby girl called so I got to chat with her. Ahhhh.

Other happy places: most vacation spots. My happiest place: Marco Island, Florida - just got plane tickets for 2011 - April 9-18. Wahoo!

No comments: