Wednesday, August 25, 2010

First day of school


I took a short walk tonight when I got home - still trying to loosen up that tailbone injury ya know. You know what looks worse than my thighs in Kohls mirror in a swimsuit at the end of winter? My ass with a bruise.,

Anyway, while walking, the late August sun on my back made me feel like "Back to School" time. I got a bit nostalgic for the days when Amy and Jud were school kids. They each started their educations at Creative Beginnings - a pre-school in Creston run by two sisters, Mrs. Drey and Mrs. Weeda. They are awesome teachers and get the kids more than prepared for kindergarten. In fact - Kgarten was still half day when our kids went, and it seemed boring after Creative Beginnings (CB)!

Amy attended CB with Krissy McFee, Ryan McKim and Brett Peterson. Jud went with Kimmy McFee, Keith Peterson and Katie McKim. We all carpooled, which made it more convenient. Parents took turns bringing a healthy snack and kids also had to take other homework assignments like a map of Ireland - not so easy back in the pre Internet days! We lived for "parent teacher conference" so we could hear how wonderful our children were!

Then the kids moved on to St. Malachy. We were so fortunate to have such a great school in our town - it was one of the things that kept us in town. We had planned on moving on - staying in Creston for just a few years and then Paul would apply for a job elsewhere. I hadn't planned to live an hour from my hometown! But a good education for our children (and fun and quirky people for us to drink and hang out with) trumped that other stuff. So we stayed.

I'm glad we did. And we went through lots of "first days of school" for the kids. New backpacks, new shoes and outfits. Amy would label all the school supplies (for both kids) in her neatest handwriting. Sometimes even individual crayons! Jud wasn't ever that excited. And on the first day Moki and I would walk the kids down the street to the bus. I'd watch until the big yellow buses took off. Then I'd go home and have a big bloody mary. haha just kidding! I should have though!

No comments: