Saturday, June 5, 2010

Mom's bday

Another of Momma's bdays have come and gone - without her. She's been gone since 1997. Hard to believe. The kids have grown up so much - she would enjoy them a lot at this stage of their lives.

Sarah Kohan, Betso's baby girl is graduating from 8th grade - Catholic school in Kennewick, WA this weekend, another big milestone missed by parents on my side. Sad. I'm glad Wayne's parents could be there. Sarah was an infant and lil bro David was in utero when Mom passed away. They're the youngest of the grandkids.

Dad got to know all the grandkids and did a pretty good job of it! He made such an effort to keep track of their birthdays and to visit and call. One year Kay Harris make a calendar with all the birthdays in it, and photos of everyone. Since we lived closest to Atlantic, Dad's summer home, Amy and Jud got to see him quite a bit in the warm months. They were lucky.

Mom's birthday fell on June 4, Dad's September 4 and mine November 4 - so 4 is a lucky number in our family - at least to me. I still think of Mom and Dad quite often, though not as much as I used to - which makes me a little sad.

My bad memories of Mom are fading the most - which is a good thing. I shouldn't hang on to them. Why would I? I need to just forgive her, but remember enough to not turn into her - a sometimes mean person. Who drank to overcome her anger or depression? I pledge to not deal with loneliness or depression with liquor. Hell I just drink for fun!

Happy Birthday Patricia Nelle Morehead Bullock - perhaps you would have been 81 if you hadn't smoked all those cigarettes. You were one of the smartest women I have ever known. You taught me a lot and helped make me the mother and woman I am. Thank you.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Awww, Sarah made your blog! Thought alot about mom that day and how proud she would have been of all of Sarah's accomplishments.