Monday, June 28, 2010

Holy Water







In the movie The Exorcist, didn't they put holy water on the person inhabited by the devil, which caused the inflicted person to burn and wail? Hmmm. Not me. I ordered Holy Water to drink in Gurnee, Illinois at our get-together with the Behrs and Wilts. It contained 12 liquors and 3 fruits juices - healthy, right? And no - they weren't full shots.




Holy water came in its own little pitcher - just for me. It was yum. Okay - a bit sweet. But it was quite refreshing after a day on my feet, walking around downtown Chicago.






We had a fun weekend with our old college friends. Did I say old? I meant long-time.






We stopped in Moline, IL to see JudBud on our way to Wilts. I think he was pretty happy to have someone visit - even his parientes. He had perused the local menus to find us a lunch place - we ended up down by the J Deere showplace.






Then it was on to Gurnee - suffering through a bit of Chicago traffic, but hey it's to be expected. We arrived at Wilt's lovely home around 5ish and Behrs were there shortly after - drinks and snacks all around. Alyssa is a budding cook. Later we attended her softball game - Moose was the coach and the rest of us were the mosquito bait. We could have sat down - or napped as Kay brought a folding cot instead of chair.






We were soooo lucky it got the rain out of its system during the night - Saturday was downright loverly. We packed 8 into the Behr van and tooled downtown, mama Kay gave us each our Taste of Chicago Tickets. For me, Chicago tasted like a skewer of shrimp and deep dish veggie pizza, followed by mango rice pudding. And oh, vodka lemonade. Everyone wandered and selected the things that appealed to them. We saw the Chicago Bean (not to be confused with Cindo Bean or Betso Bean).






Then we shopped a bit and headed back to Gurnee, taking the north route along the lake - what a beautiful view. Beach, mansions, two universities, and parks were a lot nicer to see than Freeway. Then we stopped for sandwiches (a Taste of Gurnee?). That's when I had the Holy Water - Paul had concerns that I would get Schnockered. Oh ye of little faith. There was a lot of ice in that cut lil pitcher. Plus I ate.






I love my friends. Such a comfy feeling - knowing their histories, so they can tell us (and us, them) about their fam etc. without all that pesky explaining that goes along with new friends. Tired last night - and today. Worth it!

No comments: