Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Wish Book




Remember the Wish Book catalog that used to come in the mail? I couldn't remember if it was Penney's or Sears until I Googled it. I used wait for it each year in anticipation and then pour over that thing before Christmas -drooling over the toys. I loved looking at the stuff I didn't really even expect to ever get - like the chemistry kit. We did get a Creepy Crawler Thingmaker though!

Joan, Krissy and I just spent a couple hours (okay Joan did, K and I were out there more like an hour total) shoveling. And starting and scraping cars. Krissy left her lights on and Joan and she had to jump it. And I chopped ice under the garage door.

The drift at the front door was some 4 foot high and 5 feet wide. That took a while to dig out. Joan jacked up the snow blower again and went at the driveway. I used the shovel to clear around my Subaru - the doors were frozen shut so I had to pop open the hatchback and climb through to the front and open the doors that way. I froze my fingers - they're still a bit sore.

When I came in, Joan was still out shoveling (she's a farm girl and can't help herself). I also saw her snowblowing down Sunrise Drive. She's got a fever she's hot she can't be stopped! (it's a cheer, silly). So I decided to cook supper - I had a couple tortilla crusted tilapia (Fareway) in the freezer. Despite my food Alzheimer's I figured out that a rice/veggie steamer in the freezer was mine too. So I got it ready to zap in the microwave and popped the tilapia into the fry pan with a bit of olive oil. I made the exec decision to brown the rolls that had been sitting on the counter since Thanksgiving.

So Krissy, Joanie and I had a hot meal after our scoopfest. While eating I perused the toy catalog sitting on the table - and that reminded me of my Wish Book" catolog years. I saw recently that Penney's will no longer do a big catalog. Kinda sad, but that makes sense. Who shops that way any more?

That also reminds me - remember the scandal of the underwear model in the Sears Catalog who supposedly had his Johnson showing? It made my friends and I all a twitter. (before anybody even knew what a Twitter message was). I'll miss catalogs - but will still have sale flyers. Something to look at while I eat.

2 comments:

Kris said...

Dinner was great tonight after freezing our fingers and toes off! We should bust into Joan's food stores more often.

lgold said...

We could feed the neighborhood if we did that.