Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Clothes


Above - now that was not a good look for me. I look huge! Nice hair too - one of my growing out phases I guess. Note to self - keep hair short. Don't tuck in shirts. No bobbie socks.
I bought an ugly denim shirt at the Urbandale Goodwill yesterday for our ugly sweater party. I know, a shirt isn't a sweater. But it has this 'lil ugly Santa embroidered on the chest. I couldn't resist.


I tried to think back about all the ugly sweaters I've had through the years. Of course I didn't think they were ugly when I bought 'em. I loved them, had to have 'em. In hindsight, those choices weren't so good. I wonder what I'm wearing right now that will cause me to chuckle in a scant 10 years or so. I admit it - I'm not too stylish. I really mostly just wear clothes so I'm not naked or nothing.



Do you remember certain special (or un-special) outfits through your life? Most of the outfits I remember, are because of photos. But there are some I recall just cuz.



In junior high, I had a nifty knit blue and white knicker (yes, they were HUGE in style that year - okay maybe not huge, but kinda big) outfit. I paired it up with my awesome red, white and blue shoes (I was going for the patriotic look) and a suede red, white and blue peace sign purse. I don't know how the boys could avoid the hotness that was me. For one of our muy importante junior high dances, I wore a baby blue corduroy dress - wide knap (is that the right term?).



I remember several high school important occasion outfits. Like the velvet pants I wore with the body suit ('member those - snap crotches, and if your torso was long you could just stretch and pop the snaps...) turtle neck. Big wide bells.

Do you have any clothes that you just can't make yourself give away or sell at a garage sale? (I myself had exactly one garage sale - after many, many hour preparing I made all of $150. People insulted me by asking if I would take a dime for things marked $.25. I wanted to ask them if they thought I should pay them to take my stuff...). I have a wool plaid shirt that I got when I was in college. My Grandma, Momo bought it for me and it was quite pricey - like $40 way back then. I don't wear it, but can't give it up. I also have my original Adidas Superstars. Prolly worth big bucks! My collection also includes a very ugly Hawaiian shirt, and my old Levis - real antiques.

I have had some great laughs in my life, looking back at photos with dated styles. Glasses, clothes, hair. It's funny how you can wear something and then not that long after wonder what you ever saw in that look. I'm glad I work at a place that allows me to go casual if I so desire. Tomorrow I'm wearing another top I picked up at Goodwill - a sweater that was never worn! All for less than $4. I may have to do more shopping at Goodwill! Recycling works.

No comments: