Friday, December 18, 2009

Anniversary, wrapping

It's the anniversary of my first day of work at the Iowa Department of Natural Resources. Yikes! I'm so very glad I'm past that "new kid" stage, though I'm still the newest one in our two sections. A couple people may be hired in the next couple months. Or not. We'll see.

I remember that first day of work - I stayed at a motel the night before, and the nice weather turned to snowy ice. I couldn't find my scraper in the a.m. so I had to stop at the gas station for one. Scraping the half inch of ice took a while.

When I got to work, my boss Al wasn't in yet due to the weather. So Bill Blum showed me to my new home away from home - my cubicle. I putzed around getting things set up. I was very tense all day and all those first few weeks - causing my shoulder to have permanent damage. Resulting in my visits to Dr. Wes and now, the much more relaxing masseuse Chris.

So I'm thankful today. For a job I love and the comfort level of having a year under my belt.

Today, after working at home, I wrapped a couple gifts for my beloved Pablo the Poolboy. I am the worst gift wrapper of all time. I believe it's because of that girly gene I'm lacking, the gene that allows one to do hair, curl eyelashes and yes, wrapping gifts.

My sis Cindo loves to wrap (as our mommy did) and creates lovely packages that are works of art too pretty to open. My wrapped gifts are all crooked cutting, bunched corners and just plain ugly. I don't care to put much effort into it - (just like my hair and eyelashes) so that's part of it. I also have some angst about wasting paper on wrapping. But I did the deed by golly, and got Paul's gifts wrapped. (even did bows - went all out).

No comments: