Thursday, December 3, 2009

Dear Diary

Did you ever have a diary? I did - waaaay back. I think I received it as a birthday gift around 6th grade. I recall it being pink with a little key, that I must not have kept in a safe place, because my sis Betso told me she read it one time.

Argh all my deep dark secrets. (Kind of like this blog) The most posts in my diary from my early teen angst years. Those times of self-loathing. I would rather be 52 than 13! That was rough. I went from being a cool (in my own mind) athletic 12 year old to someone with starter boobs and monthly menses.

I was dragged kicking and screaming into puberty. (quiet kicking and screaming, for the most part in my room to myself because I couldn't talk to anyone about it) My mom wasn't the hold hands sing kumbaya and talk about our feelings with our period kinda gal. She took me to the "movie" we girls had in 5th grade - to learn about periods. None of it made sense to me - why would that happen?

And the emotions and moods that went with that monthly cycle. I wanted nothing to do with pads and tampons. I spent junior high perfecting silent opening of plastic tampon packages in the restroom at school. Heart pounding stress! Especially if the "hoods" (that's you tammy ross and angie ostrander) were in the bathroom smoking.

No diary for me now. Just this Blog. And you have the key...

4 comments:

Ramona I. Lynam said...

I love having a key!
I remember the day in h.s. when a girl reached into her coat pocket to get something and accidentally pulled out a tampon which fell on the floor. It was like a circle opened up around her with everyone just staring. She was so embarrassed.
I found my diaries from h.s. days when we moved. They are kinda funny, but also remindful of much I had forgotten.

amy e. goldsmith said...

my mom isn't the kumbaya mom either. weller was telling us about how his feet were cold over t-giving and his mom ran and fetched his slippers and put them on his feat for him. i was like "that's definitely not the kind of mom i have!" that's okay...i'd prefer my mom over a pampering mom anyday :)

lgold said...

I am more of an "out there" talk about most things mom though. Not a lot of secrets with me - much to the dismay of the two men in my life, Jud and Paul. How about you Ramona? Could your kids ask you anything? Do you cater to them? I don't wanna be a slipper puttin' on mom. Bad message for some future wife/husband.

Ramona I. Lynam said...

Oh, yeah. My Mom always told me I could ask her about anything. We had a good relationship and so do I with my kids.
Mom did wait on my brothers, tho'. I did not do that with my sons.
Does Amy's friend Weller have sisters? Does his Mom wait on them, too?