Saturday, December 12, 2009

Stages

I think back about when the kids were young. It seemed I was always looking ahead to the next stage of their lives. It started right out of the chute. Literally - just after giving birth, I started reading those new mommy publications the hospital staff gave me, describing the different stages in the first few months of birth.

Let me just start out by saying newborn babies are scary! They're so needy and seem fragile. So I would take a bath and read ahead. (The bathtub was my sanctuary in those days. Who am I kidding, it still is! The tub was a place I could shed all the "equipment" post childbirth - nursing bra with breast pads, post childbirth sanitary napkins etc and Paul would be in charge of the babe).

I'd read to see what baby should be like at 1 month. I remember really looking forward to three months when the baby would start being more interactive - smiling. It's a big thing to get used to a new family member! There are lots of stages those first few years - smiling, rolling over, sitting up, adding solid food, and ahh sleeping through the night. That one took Jud a while.

I remember lusting for the time we no longer had to purchase and change diapers. It's funny - just like many things, you don't really know which diaper is your last and you quickly adjust to life without that thing that was so pervasive in your life. We got over the diaper stage very quickly after Jud was potty trained. (I was beginning to think he would go to pre-school in diapers).

When Amy and Jud grew up a little bit - grade school age, there were other stages. First grade brought a full day of school, after half day kindergarten. Why didn't I enjoy my time with those little kids more? The business of everyday life works against us I think.

Our children were never huge snugglers and lap sitters after toddlerhood. But we had our snuggly times. I distinctly remember walking into church with Amy, who at age 10 would still hold my hand. I thought to myself, "enjoy this time, it will be over soon."

Many stages were great while they lasted, but I wasn't sad to see the end. Like high school for the kids - and high school sports. We (mostly) enjoyed them. Hanging with the other parents was fun - especially Jud's group. But it was time to be over.

This time of year, I find myself missing little A&J. The excitement of Christmas and Santa. Amy reading the children's bible - the story of Jesus birth. It was a cheap book I guess, and the print wasn't the best. Amy was surprised to read that Marv gave birth to Jesus! I miss reading to the kids and having them sit on my lap.

For now, I'll enjoy this stage of our lives. Empty nest, young adult children. Life is good.

No comments: