Monday, December 7, 2009

Crappy weather driving

I drove to DM this a.m. after breakfast with the Homegirls. It started snowing last night right when Deb, Bobbie, Pat and I finished up the Christmas Home Tour, benefiting the Rural Iowa Women's Shelter. Before that, Debbie and I attended the "Joyful Noise" Christmas Concert to help get us in the mood. For Christmas...

The concert was very good. My favorite parts were the violin guy and the pianist. A Mom and daughter - the Bevings sang a duet that was quite nice. Hmmm why didn't they ask Amy and me to do one? Haha.

So after this a.m.'s S&K pancake, I went back home to check on the roads on TV. Took off about quarter to 8, and didn't get to work until 9:30 a.m. Took the long way - thru Winterset cuz the ditches are deep going the north. Just the first of many trips to come on less than perfect roads.

Last winter, my first day of work was on a stormy icy one. And the trip home that night was not fun either - my windshield had iced up.

I used to be oblivious when it came to driving in bad weather. Until my sophomore year of college when Vic and I drove back to Ames after spring break. I had a 1977 Chevy Monza - hatchback rear wheel drive with no weight in the back. I was tooling along north of Ankeny - it had been snowing for a while, when I hit black ice - and fishtailed for quite a ways and then ditched it, nearly rolling in the snow filled ditch.

Then Vicki and I watched 4 other cars hit that same icy spot and go in the ditch, 2 after hitting each other. Lucky for me a tow truck came by shortly. That trip in the ditch gave me a healthy (or paranoid) respect for bad weather driving. Pablo and I avoid it when we can. I'm glad I am comfy enough in my job now and can telecommute. Lucky me! Bring it on Old Man Winter.

No comments: