Saturday, December 19, 2009

Christmas Eve


Our family always did the Midnight Mass thing at Christmas time. When I was little, Dad would stay home with Bitsy Betsy (that's what people called her cuz she was such a cute little thing). I on the other hand, daughter #3, would have a little rest after the Christmas Eve festivities and then would have to go out in the cold to church.

Our evening's festivities went like this. Momo and Bubba (my in town grandparents) would come over late afternoon for a few drinks. Then, after they were properly lubricated we would move from the family room into the formal living room where the Christmas Tree was awaiting. We got to open gifts from each other that night. So exciting! Afterwards we dined on chili and for weird people, clam chowder. Momo made her own peanut butter and would bring sandwiches. (I preferred Skippy then, Jif now). One year, Mom dipped her brand new shell necklace (a gift from Dad) into the clam chowder whilst stirring.

So we'd play with our new stuff throughout the evening, and then take a rest before mass. I distinctly remember one year Betsy went to bed, so I laid on Mom's bed reading a book from our large children's home library. Mom and Dad had a 50's bedroom - twin beds just like Rob and Laura Petrie. But theirs were shoved together, mostly.

Dad made sure the bedroom door was shut. But I could hear it - the sounds of rustling. They didn't want to do the Santa thing after Mass, so they put the presents out before we we left. Good thing I my Santa bubble had burst before that! I think it was the next year that I discovered some of our gifts (not yet wrapped) in the furnace room. Of course I couldn't resist showing Betso the stash. Johnny West for me and Jane West for her - with their own ranch and horses. They were awesome!

Sometimes there were arguments at Christmas. Us kids when we were young. Mom and Dad as we got older. Our Christmases weren't perfect. But it was always an exciting time, and make up some of my best childhood memories.

No comments: