Friday, September 12, 2014

Iowa State Vs. Iowa football - memories

I was there for the first game when the ISU vs. Iowa football series kicked off again in 1977. So many students wanted tickets that you had to enter a lottery to get the privilege to attend. My college roommate Vicki and I hit the jackpot and were able to purchase tickets for something like $8 each. Woohoo! We made plans to stay with my high school buddy Mona Jones who was a frosh at Iowa.
Check out the Iowa banner behind me...

On Game day, Vic and I tailgated with Vicki's folks - they were ISU grads, but they had Iowa tickets for many years with their friends who had an RV. The game didn't go as planned - ISU was the favored team yet Iowa came out on top that day. Mona's dorm was rockin' with all the partiers later that night. Vicki and I decided about 1 a.m. that we weren't going to get any sleep. So we headed back to Ames. All the way Vicki took me through some story - where you had to make choices and those choices told you about yourself. It was cool! And kept me awake.
The girls at the game

The next year we must have all won the lottery. Or ISU received more tickets - because we all attended the game - which again was in Iowa City. Sal, Jane, Vicki, Moose and Steve. I kind of lost though - because I had to drive...after pre-gaming at Cy's Roost. We drew straws. We passed beers between cars on I-80. Crazy college days.

It was a long night for me - staying in the Chi-O house with Christie Jo Deardorff. I got a post drinking migraine - before I knew that's what I had. The game outcome was much better that year and we danced afterward with Vicki's folks and friends at the Airliner.

During the 15 year losing streak, time my parents, who were Iowa grads, invited Paul and me to attend an Iowa game as their guests. We lost something like 60-6. Butt-kicking. Thank you sir may I have another!?!

The losing streak thinned my skin. It's why I don't get into texting Hawk fans and joking about the game as much as others. They had the edge for 15 years. That took away the fun for me - not due to the good Hawk fans that cheer for their team through thick and thin. But we know those who like to jab like they're true blue and are quick to through the team and players under the buss at the first whiff of a rough season.

I'm trying to lighten up - it's been 16 more years after all. And the Cyclones are holding their own in the W/L department since that time. It's time for me to chill.

More Memories:

I was at one of the kid's soccer games when I heard that ISU was leading Iowa in 1998 - and it looked like the good guys might finally win one. The streak would finally be over. I still love watching reruns of that game. JJ Moses. Finally Jud had a reason to be happy to be a Cyclone - born into a losing streak as his birthright. Amy was happy too, but she wasn't into it like Jud.

2002 - Seneca Wallace brings the team back from several touchdowns down, giving Iowa their only loss. That guy was something to watch. I talked to him last year at one of our home games.

2005? Iowa was ranked and heavily favored. Jud and Paul went to the game. I stayed home. ISU won fairly easily. Drew Tate knocked himself out of that game after a pick.

2007 - ISU The Shaggy game - Culbertson, ISU's kicker, knick-named Shaggy, hits enough field goals to win the game. A drunk Iowa chick, smoking a cigarette shrieks at me from a car - calling me an "F'ing old Hag". And I said - "But I'm a winning F'ing old Hag". Love that story!
Iowa fan in a kilt...

Iowa won the next three - until 2011 when, in Ames in a back and forth game, I won the game for us in triple overtime by standing in a lucky spot on the stairs below the concourse. The excitement was heart stopping - over and over as each overtime went by. I high fived strangers. My phone blew up as friends around the country texted after the game. It was awesome and so very fun. My most fun time at an Iowa game.

2012 - watching on TV as Iowa State linebacker Jake Knott saved the game in the closing minutes by tipping and intercepting a pass. The radio feed notes Iowa's color man Ed Podoak stating "this should be a touchdown". Not. Phew! Relief!


There is some talk of ending the series. Logically it may make sense for both teams. ISU could use a cupcake. Why can't we schedule one or three? The Big 10 now has 14 teams in the conference - and scheduling issues. I don't care. This state loves this game. It's good for commerce, workplaces, media and people. I hope it never ends. I'll continue to work on my attitude.

No comments: