Monday, September 22, 2014

Felix the Cat - AHS football memories

I love football. I have since I was a little tyke. My parents would take us to watch the Atlantic Trojans play on Friday nights. They were perfect fall evenings when we'd put on our fall jackets and Mom would get out the black and gold wool Iowa Hawkeyes blanket. We'd walk the five blocks between our home and the Trojan Bowl by the high school. The smell of burning leaves hung in the air.

Oh the excitement! The marching band in all their finery - all green and white. What? For some reason the early band uniforms in Atlantic were green - not the black and gold team colors. Blue light special? I don't know. They sure sounded good though - director Art Meyer made sure of that.

I was happy to see some of my little friends, like Robyn (aka Robbie Dob). She would watch the cheerleaders - older girls like Barbie Freese doing cheers like:
Felix the cat the cat the cat
Felix the cat the cat
He wants to know
he wants to know are we going to win, Yes! What Felix, the cartoon cat, had to do with football...hmm, not sure.

And I would watch the game. My dad must have explained what was going on, because at some point I was even trying to explain the game to Robyn according to a new clipping in the Atlantic News Telegraph. I feel like I've always understood the game of football. Not like my husband and son - who both played the game - but more than most chicks.

Atlantic was good. Future Hawkeye player Ed Podolak (and Kansas City Chief) played along with several other good athletes. Later Ed's brother Charlie played. Did Tom Hayes play at Kansas? The team was fun to watch - even for a little tomboy.

A few years later, this Scorpio birthday girl got to load up the station wagon with all my little friends for a road trip to an away football game for my very special day. It was 7th grade because I remember singing music we'd learned in mixed choir that year. Mom made up "snack" bags for each of us - she always did the little things. We all just piled into the back of the wagon - loose, no seat belts, singing our lungs out. Good thing that wasn't enough to make my father crash the car!

Football has been a big part of my life - since childhood. I hope ESPN and dirty rat bastard wife beaters don't wreck it.

No comments: