Sunday, September 21, 2014

Verklempt

All those years ago, when I watched the Saturday Night Live skits featuring the character who became "verklempt," who knew I would one day be her? A woman who becomes overwhelmed with emotion upon watching mere TV segments or listening to hymns.

The definition of verklempt is "overcome with emotion". That is me this morning - watching a segment on the CBS morning show about a boxing instructor who ended up fostering and then adopting two brothers that were in the miserable foster system.

My once steely exterior seems to have rusted. Damn Iowa humidity. When did my emotions get so close to the surface? Is it my now thinning skin? Have my life experiences made me more open to the beauty of life and the "little" things?

Perhaps it's just this pain in my shoulder. I am sleep deprived, after all. Drugs, heating pads, extra pillows. Nights are somewhat of a blur.

Naww. I'm guess I'm just now a verklempt-ready woman of a certain age...it's a good thing, right?


There was even a cat - Frasier - at the FM
 

Paul is putting up tree stands these days, so I was on my own for the Farmer's Market. Jane was doing daughter bonding stuff. I decided to take pics of dogs. And buy bacon, tomatoes, carrots and bread. Yum.

Later we headed to Ames to watch ISU defeat the Iowa Hawkeye women's volleyball team. The first to games were close, but the Cyclone women took care of business in game 3. We walked out east of Hilton to take a pic with out fave mascot after the match. These statues are all over campus now. Very cool! No I didn't get verklempt.

No comments: