Sunday, September 14, 2014

Sweet Mother of Caroline!

Good times seemed pretty darn good - yesterday after our team of athletes overcame the other team of athletes.

This year's game was in Iowa City. As I explained in my last blog, I don't like to attend games there. And if I were an Iowa fan I wouldn't like coming to Ames. Too many hostiles around! Your mixed Hawk/Clone group might be fine but there are many jerky fans about - on both sides. 

I received a text from my college roommate Jane earlier in the week, asking our plans for the game. We decided to meet at a bar known as being pro-Cyclone. The Keg Stand is kind of a dive, but they were bringing in a giant TV for the parking lot and port-a-potties. That won us over!
Being with Jane for games is good luck! We were at Kelly's for the KU basketball game too

Paul and I arrived at the bar about 12:30 p.m. for a 2:30 p.m. game - we were lucky to snag a table on the covered patio. Jane joined us later, followed by Susan and her friend. The place was rocking by the time the game started - late due to the length of the prior game. There were a few brave Hawk fans - more than I'd expected. But the crowd had a mostly cardinal and gold flavor.

It was fun catching up with Jane. We agreed - though we live near each other, we get lazy about contacting one another to get together. The Cyclones bring us together! I enjoy hearing about her children and family. She always asks about our kids too.

We saw a singer setting up for a show later and were delighted to learn that it was none other than Damon Dotson - Phil Conover's pal. We'd heard him before and knew he was a great singer and nice guy. He told us Phil would be in later after work.

The game had many ups and downs for both teams. Neither looks too great at this point in the season. I like the improvement shown by ISU. After that first game, I must admit, I was pretty depressed. After all these years one must remember - a team is never a bad as you think...or as good. The Cyclones played much better in the second half, playing from behind. It was tied - game on the line with scant seconds left.

It's been one of those years. Things haven't gone ISU's way. But this time the football gods smiled down. The kicker knocked the kick that counted right between the uprights. Hugs, high fives and fist bumps all around. We loved watching the team rush to the sideline to retrieve the Cy-Hawk trophy. We decided a round of shots was in order.
Slippery Nipples. I know...sounds disgusting, but delish!
  Phil came by - I kissed his cheek. I wished his folks were there. Marilyn stresses those games as much as I do!
Phil tops off Paul's shot glass...
We didn't last long at the bar after that - exhausted! We did hear Damon play Sweet Caroline - a Cyclone favorite!

It was a quiet evening at home, watching games. We watched with quiet satisfaction. It might just be one win, but now we have bragging rights for the year. And the best part - hope for the rest of the year that there are better things to come.

No comments: