Sunday, May 8, 2011

Weepy, Bachelors Degree

OMG - I've been on the verge of tears several times this weekend. A big one - Jud's graduation from ISU. What the hell is wrong with me?!? I'm not one of those moms who cried when their kids went off to kindergarten - quite the opposite. I rejoiced! And I allowed myself a little sentimentality when Amy and Jud went to college, but it passed quickly.

At Christmas, I got choked up when it was time to say goodbye to Amy. She laughed because she thought I was kidding. I could have blubbered yesterday when Jud called as we drove Amy to her friend Rochelle's. I had written him a letter that I inserted into his graduation card - advising him to read it when he was alone. Yes, I'm a teary-eyed old woman.

When Jud called he said he'd had a chance to read the letter I wrote and he really appreciated it. I could hear the emotion in his voice. And this is Jud. I melted - and get tears in my eyes thinking about it now. So I said something like, "I meant every word of it." Of course my voice was all quavery. Paul and Amy glanced at me nervously like I was going to blubber - I forced myself to pull it together. There was time later for sobbing about my baby boy!

What did the letter say? Hmmm personal - but it was a bit of how proud I am of him. He hasn't had it easy - and some of it was his own doing. But as I've said in other blogs, he was a tantrum throwing child who got easier as he got older. College has been fab for him. So it will be hard to leave. And I couldn't help but throw in some work advice, as I'm a font of knowledge there.

Graduation went swell - long of course, because all those other people think their kids are as important as mine! Amy's longtime friend Aleah received her Masters Degree. Jud's girlfriend Kara, and buddy Noelle (in her Cy the Mascot feet) got diplomas on this day. Paul's sis Jean and hubby Dave were there along with Amy of course.

Afterwards was a madhouse at Hilton Coliseum, so my ideal photos (I pictured in my mind) didn't take place. Then it was on to meet Kara's fam at her apartment for a celebratory meal. The Whiteds are nice folks - easy to talk to. After the events of the day, exhaustion set in - we hit the Gateway.

A bit 'o shopping at the mall with Amy then onto to a fam lunch at Hickory Park, before helping Jud load stuff up in vehicles. We ended our fam time with a sweaty family hug! Then it was time to drop Amy off in Ankeny at Rachelle and Jenna's - her ISU roomies. They're taking her back to the train tonight. I didn't need to get weepy when I said goodbye to her in Ankeny - we get to see her again soon when we head to Denver for Memorial Day.

Jud is stopping in Creston today on his way to help Kara move to Kansas City for her new job. I'm sure we won't discuss the letter. We wouldn't want a chance to get emotional face-to-face...

No comments: