Sunday, May 15, 2011

Finders keepers

I feel kinda bad about it too.

I was walking along in Wal-Mart today, when I glanced down and saw what looked like a folded up Benjamin on the floor. It didn't turn out to be a Benjamin - just a lowly $10 bill. Still somebody is going to miss that baby.

I thought about turning it into the customer service desk. But decided it would likely end up in some customer service worker's pocket. I kept it in mine, and will use it to "pay it forward" one of these days. I'll see some cute lil old person and pay for there meal. Or some such - I'll know it when the opportunity presents itself.

The incident reminded me of a time when sister Susan got stuck taking little sis Leslie to the Cass County Fair. I must have been ten years oldish - making Susi sixteen. She was old enough to drive anyway. The Fair in Atlantic used to be pretty big stuff - complete with carnival rides and games.

Susi and I went on one of the rides - was it the Octopus? I'm not sure, but on our way out of the gate, I looked down and saw what I thought was a roll of paper. I picked it up and showed it to Susi - and the Carnival guy rushed over seeing that it was cash. In my memory it was a roll of bills all attached at the ends - like they had printed their own? I don't know. Anyway, the Carnie guy insisted on giving us $5 for a reward. I probably lost it trying to throw rings on pop bottles to win ash trays.

Can you imagine the lives of those carnie people? They are like modern day gypsys. I'm sure insurance requirements have taken a toll on the number of crews traveling the country each summer. It probably makes America safer, but I'm not sure it's as fun.

No comments: