Thursday, May 19, 2011

Trippin'

Today I went another road trip for work - this time to Fort Dodge via Webster City. My Supe Jennifer and co-worker Scott went along. We headed out about 9 a.m. and arrived at the Hamilton County Transfer Station just after 10. We got the royal tour from the director - Terry.

The folks in Hamilton County closed their landfill last year, and now they run a waste transfer station. They're also building a household hazardous waste facility - something I think is pretty cool. Terry seems a bit nervous about it. I totally get it...I was that way before I felt before we opened the one here in Union County.

It's kinda scary to think about handling chemicals and running a facility like that. I felt overwhelmed at times about it. But something scared me more than that. Not opening such a facility - allowing those chemicals to fall into the hands of children, or to be improperly disposed of. So we offered Terry some advice for start up of the facility. I hope our visit helps!

After that we had a tour around Webster City (the hometown of Dave and Jean Fox - our in-laws, who the transfer station peeps know) to drive by some other trashy landmarks - like the recycling facility, the scrap yard and the business that recycles chemical containers from agriculture.

Then - onward to Fort Dodge! We had fun discussing a variety of topics during the trip. Scott, Jen and I seem to be of the same political bent. Luncheon was at Mineral City, a cute and busy place. On the way out I saw Debbie Mathes - co-worker from FNB in Creston. Hmmm - small world. Our tour of the Fort Dodge Recycling facility was given by accountant/manager Deb. We squeezed that in after a nice long discussion of keg "balls" Jenny used to drink in college. We learned a lot from Deb about the operation there and we explained the services our section at DNR provides. It was a good visit.

On the way back just outside Des Moines we went by one of those billboards - about the END OF THE WORLD coming up May 21. (Boy will I have egg on my face if this comes true). I think I must go out for drinks Friday night. I know...it's not like THAT'S anything special...but it must be done.

No comments: