Friday, May 20, 2011

The final Oprah

Ya love her - you don't like her all that much. She's Oprah - no last name required. She started as a chubby approachable gal - you wanted to be her friend. She somehow turned into a very, very, very rich international star who has lots of power. Which didn't make her any more likable really.

But one of my life's goals was to go see her show. Oops! Guess I didn't make that bucket list item. Oh well - it got less important as time went on and Oprah got richer and more important.

I wish I would have seen her in Winterset all those years ago. In that case it would have been like she came to see me. And I loved the book and the movie - "Bridges of Madison County." Just like Oprah did.

I didn't often like her "fluff" stuff she did, but I loved the tough stuff - on forgiveness, dealing with incest, the early Dr. Phil stuff and Dr. Oz. I liked the guy who helped the people with obsessive compulsive behavior - hoarding. I enjoyed it when Oprah went out about the country and surprised folks. Wouldn't that have been a hoot to have her knock on your door?

My fave thing about Op (we're close enough I think I can call her that) is that she embraces her age. Of course she has a bevvy of people to make her look good - but she sometimes appears sans makeup. I like the idea of someone who says "it's fun to be X age" leading the way for me. Fifty IS fun! So bring on 60.

I look forward to seeing what O does next - with her mag and her TV network. I'll miss having her on at 4 PM to count on. Who will step up to fill in the gap? There will never be another Oprah. But she can be another Barbara Walters - and do specials if she feels like it. Bring it on Oprah!

No comments: