Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Who's Your Friend When Things Get Rough?

HR Pufnstuf of course. Who remembers TV show? It was one of my favorites when I was a kid. I got to go to breakfast this morning with my buddies. 2 eggs, toast and coffee for $3.05. It’s a great way to start my day.

Anyway, we started talking about old TV shows and Linda brought up Pufnstuf, a Saturday a.m. classic. I liked to watch it when I wasn’t forced to go to Catholic Catechism. Yes, the Catholic kids missed the best morning of each week because we needed the nuns to teach us a thing or two. (Guess it didn’t take with me, see my blog on the swearing thing.)

HR Pufnstuf ran from 1969 – 1972 according to Wikipedia. It’s was a fairy tale with real people and some puppety things. Looking back, this TV show most likely came from some wicked LSD trips – it was the 60’s you know. It featured Jack Wild – and whatever happened to him?
Jack Wild - Oliver

This show must have run when my lotus was blossoming (I was becoming pubertized) – because I had a huge crush on that kid. I even bought Tiger Beat magazine to read all about him. He did eventually star in a remake of Oliver Twist with Mark Lester another hunk-o-rama of the day. It was back when little Michael Jackson had a real nose.

The cartoons back then were far superior to today’s cartoons because they didn’t have to send a gooey message or be politically correct. They were just damn funny. Bugs, Foghorn Leghorn, Droopy, Wily Coyote, Tom and Jerry and more. Dan Miller from Creston and I are Droopy’s biggest fans. My family even bought me a Droopy vhs tape for a gift once - I loved it!

In college we used to watch the Floppy Show (why did the man put the car in the oven?), and they ran the good cartoons on that show. When our kids were babies, 5:30 a.m. was a great time to find classic cartoons showing – just before those shady pretend religious folks – Jim and Tammy Faye Bakker pleaded for funds, with tears and everything.

The 60's, 70's, even 80's were simpler times, of course. I don’t think we expected asBmuch from things like cartoons as we do now. I must admit do enjoy Family Guy and South Park today. The Simpsons can make me laugh too. But none of them match up to a good Hanna-barbera ‘toon.

The answer is: He wanted a hot rod, of course!

No comments: