Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Music (continued)

Our dad, Dave Bullock had a stereo way back in the 1950's. The receiver and turntable were up high in the furnace room. Do you think he was protecting it from his 4 daughters? He loved Herb Alpert and the Tijuana Brass. He got me hooked on the Limeliters and he had an album with jungle noises. Mom didn't have much of a flair for music - couldn't carry a tune in a bucket either. She sure did love my Saturday Night Fever tape though.

One day I had my good friend Robbie Dob over (refer back to my first blog, number 11) over to play. We had gotten a new electric tooth brush and were of course drawn to it, despite all our other cool toys. We turned on the bathroom faucet - cranking those old knobs as far as they would go. Then, alas we couldn't remember how to turn them to turn off the water. The sink filled up and - you guessed it - spilled over the top, dripping onto Dad's stereo downstairs, shorting it out. So much for hiding it away! Mom sent Robyn home right away. Mom didn't put up with shenanigans.

I love to get live versions of my favorite music - the longer the song the better. I think that's why I love Dave Matthews so much - his songs are all like 10 minutes long, and he doesn't have very many studio-recorded albums. I got to see his band last summer in Omaha. It was awesome. I dragged husband Paul along, even though he wasn't a fan. I think we were the oldest people there. And to answer my own pondering question, people still smoke dope at concerts. It was almost reassuring, smelling the stuff. Just like concerts in the 70's!

I've seem so many great concerts during my life. When I got older, I kinda forgot how alive they made me feel. I vow to go to more of them.

1. The Carpenters - Mom and Dad took us to see them at the Iowa State Fair when I was like 12. I probably weighed more than Karen Carpenter even then, though her battle with eating disorders wasn't yet pronounced.

2. John Denver - geez had a senior moment and had to google to get his name! Sister Cindy took me to this when she was going to Drake. I was 15. She also got me a fake ID and drunk. She always did look out for me!

3. - ? A whole bunch of 1970's bands - Steve Miller Band, BTO, REO, Steely Dan, Elton John, Kansas, Peter Frampton, Fleetwood Mac - saw them at Iowa Jam in 1976, and they weren't even popular then, so I didn't pay that much attention. I think it was the tequila sunrises we snuck in. Billy Joel - up close because my friends worked in the ISU Center. I'm sure there were more.
Right now my favorite album I listen to nearly every day is a live Queen, with Under Pressure (maybe because I am...) and a long guitar and drum riff that I love.

4. In more recent years I've seen Tina Turner - in a box at Madison Square Garden, thanks to my niece's connections. Neil Diamond, Mary Chapin Carpenter, ZZ Topp. Plus the fantastic Dave Matthews concert last summer.

Music is a big part of my life. Just one song can make my day start out so much better. Lately, "Beautiful Day" live, by U2 is one that makes my heart soar. I hope you have songs like that in your life!

No comments: