Thursday, February 26, 2009

Old friends




I got together with an old friend today - someone I knew from college. Her name is Jane (in kayak above) and she's always been a very independent, intelligent, musical and artsy person. We haven't seen each other in a few years, but it seemed like we picked up right where we left off, except with a few more wrinkles and a lot of life experience.

Jane grew up in the town next to Earlville where Paul grew up - they went to the same Catholic High School, and Jane was friends with Paul's cousin. I know - it's way too incestuous, but everyone in that area is Paul's cousin. Double cousin even.

I met Jane in college through another friend and we ended up going on ski trips together a few times. A good time was had by all.

Back when I was college age, I viewed people my age - 50ish as old. Now in my elderly wisdom, I know just how damn interesting people my age can be. We're salty, and we've got experience! I enjoyed our lunch Chef Joe's.

Then I got to head home to Creston, where my heart is!




Next weekend, weather permitting, we plan to head north to Northfield, MN to visit some other college friends. Wilts (live near Chicago) are taking their daughter up to check out U of M for college next year. Behrs live in Northfield, MN and hope to also see Hausers who live just north in Eagan. Haven't seen these guys in over a year, so I'm really looking forward to it. Here's a photo of me with Vicki Behr and Kay Wilt - taken a few years ago at Behrs house. When we get together, it's like old home week. After all I've known them all some 30+ years!

No comments: