Thursday, February 12, 2009

Bring your chocolate to work day

My boss, Al, declared today, “bring chocolate to work day”. So Sunday I slaved away on chocolate truffles. Okay there are only two ingredients – cream cheese and semi-sweet chocolates. But they didn’t end up pretty like the ones my friend made. It was my first fork-dipped effort, so I didn’t mind. And they disappeared pretty quickly despite their lack of beauty.

Al brought chocolate salad. Sound healthy? Think again – it was a big bowl of Raisinettes, M&Ms, Hershey’s kisses and my fave – Milk Duds. It was the first time I had them since I pulled my dental bridge out on a big glob of Duds while kayaking in NW Iowa. One has to gobble quickly while paddling, and I didn’t feel I had time to eat them one at a time. So I traveled home with my bridge and glob ‘o caramel/chocolate in a baggie. And a nice big southern Iowa gap in my smile.

I come by my chocolate jones honestly. Most people know that my father was in lady’s underwear (oh how he loved that line). He traveled the state of Iowa selling Lorraine Lingerie, stopping at every little burg Monday through Friday. So he was only home on weekends. Each Friday, Mom baked something chocolate for him – brownies, chocolate cake with chocolate frosting, cookies and yum, pudding cake.

Yep, he was a chocoholic. Even in his latter years he always had a bowl of Heath bars or Snickers. Plus chocolate pudding in the fridge. No wonder I’m a carb freak!

My Funny Valentine Paul Goldsmith came to the Big City to see where I work and live during the week while we are apart. He got to meet my bosses and co-workers at the beautiful Wallace Building. We went out to eat and then I brought him back to see Joan’s house in Waukee, where I stay at night. It’s about 20 miles from my office. Now, when we talk on the phone, he can visualize where I am. Joan has a box of Russell Stover’s on her counter. Yum.

1 comment:

amy e. goldsmith said...

omg... bring your chocolate to work day? sounds like heaven. i'm a chocoholic too. i've decided i need to start weening myself off of desserts or i'll end up like poor moki... inserting 12 units of insulin into my bloodstream twice a day.