Tuesday, February 17, 2009

My love affair

I confess I’ve had a lifelong love affair – with books. We had many books when I was growing up. Our house, which was built by my mom’s father, had built-in bookcases and they were filled with the things. Mom made a practice of giving us books she had loved in her childhood. Her special favorites were L. Frank Baum books, the most famous was The Wizard of Oz. Oz characters Dorothy, Toto, Button Bright, Tik Tok, Woozy, and the Wizard were good and loyal friends of mine. I read those books time and time again. The beautiful ink-drawing artwork helped me bond with my friends.

My mother and many other moms took advantage of “story time” at the Atlantic library. The librarian read or played LP recordings of books like Dr. Suess’s Yertle the Turtle and other classics. When I was a kid, my neighbor Laurie and I would walk downtown – some 7 blocks all downhill. We’d stop at Bonneson’s Five & Dime or Ben Franklin to select candy. For less than a dollar I’d get bag of purple gumballs, PixieStix, Lemonheads, little wax bottles of colored sugar water, Sweet Tarts - and canker sores.

Then we’d walk to the library where I’d get my limit of 4 books. (That was before backpacks were invented so I had to carry them stacked on my arm.) I’d often then walk to my grandparent’s house, just 3 blocks from the library. My grandma, who we called Momo, would make me ice milk (fewer calories than ice cream?) with Hershey’s syrup. Grandpa (Bubba) would deliver me home in his VW Beetle. I’d read my books and eat candy – talk about hog heaven!

Each week I’d scope out the Nancy Drew books - the ones with the yellow jackets – at Rex Pharmacy downtown. My grandparents had Dad’s sisters (my aunts’) old books at my grandparent’s house – stored in their scary attic. Bobbsey Twins, Hardy Boys and more. I wanted to be one of the Happy Hollisters.

Except for my college years, when I kept busy reading text books and drinking beer, I've had a novel or two to read at all times. Then a few years ago, Deb and I decided we wanted to start a reading discussion group. Not the kind of book club that reports to the newspaperlisting who gave book reports. The fun kind where you meet other people who also have an on-going love affair with books.

So I put a couple fliers up at Matilda Gibson. It's our library in Creston. I know - most people have a Carnegie. We have Matilda. A few people called and slowly we put together a fine group of ladies I have grown to love. Not one guy yet, but who knows~!

Thea has named herself permanent hostess, which is grand because she lives in a grand house with three grand dames - dogs who greet us like long lost friends each time we visit. Peaches is crotch high which makes greetings quite intimate. Thea's house has a pool, which is lovely to sit by, or even get in, during summer months. Sometimes we even talk about books!

We mostly get them through the library via inter-library loan. It costs each of us $1.25 each month. I try to find discussion questions to get us started on discussions at meetings. We all suggest books to get, and I keep a spreadsheet to get to the library ladies to order. There have been some gems through the years and some bombs. Nobody feels bad if they didn't read the book. They come anyway, just to hang out with the cool book ladies!

Gotta go - there are so many books, so little time!

No comments: